lots of weight to lose...

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello, i have just recently started the orlistat tablets and i have 12 stone to lose.

i understand about how much fat to have but i dont think i am doing enough exercise.

Can anyone please give me some exercise tips,

I walk every day and do this home exercise dvd which is 30-45min each time. Is this enough or is there more i can do?

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

• Posted

Hi there welcome on board you will get lots of support and advice here. X i do 1 hour cardio on my wii every moning then ido 30 minutes intense programme on the just dance lol i walk the dog for 30/45 mins a day and started country walking last week did 8 miles last friday and 5 miles today lol totally wrecked but felt good after it x the wii fit is goid do the step advance and free step i do the free jogging too it sounds a lot but passes really quickly when youget into it hope this helps just a few ideas have you thought of swimming or aqua aerobics?? Good luck hun with everything hope this gives you a few ideas xxx
    • Posted

Thank you for replying, i use to do aqua aerobics but then the times were changed and with other commitments i couldnt make it.

I have the wii just dance and the dancing mat although i dont go on them often lol i will start adding them in from tomorrow.

You have helped loads thank you so much.

• Posted

Your very welcome you will be surprised how intense the just dance can be but it can be hard and good fun lol mind i make sure the blinds are closed dont want anyone seeing me prancing around ha ha what a sight fir sore eyes that would be 😊 if you have the wii fit its ideal you can measure your BMI and weight and set tourself goals good luck with your weight loss hun stick with it xxx
  • Posted

Hi there, welcome to Orlistat and good luck. I think you are starting out in a brilliant way. Walking is by far the safest and most effective way of losing weight and if you are walking every day then that is absolutely superb. You say you do the exercise dvd as well but not how many times you do it a week. I'm not sure how hard you push yourself with your walks but I think it needs to be quite brisk, less sedentary, so that you get your heart pumping a bit and sweat a bit. I think if you did that for half an hour every day and your dvd 3 times a week then that would be phenominal. But first off I would think you need to run this all by your doctor to make sure he's happy with that because obviously I don't know you or your health etc. But well done for starting. Keep in touch and let me know how it goes.
    • Posted

Hello, i am doing the dvd 6 days a week its hip hop abs with shaun t it has a program in the pack which tells you what to do and on what day. I did talk to my doc about this and he said its low impact so it should be fine i just have to follow the person who does the adjustments because of a dodgy knee.

My walking i walk 3 miles 5 days a week mostly pushing myself and panting when im finnish lol.

• Posted

Oh your doing a lot already dont over do it as uour gp advised low impact was ok so maybe give the just dance a miss or do it on the less intense x sorry i wasnt saying you had to do what i do it was just some ideas i think 3 miles every day is really good so well done!! I do mine early morning before the day starts as during the day im so busy come tea time im ready for bed lol keep us all updated with your progress xx
    • Posted

Thank you for your help, i think for the first couple of weeks i will keep it as it is then push myself a bit harder.

I can't do that wii fit board thing yet i am to over weight at the moment but hopefully in time that will change.

I have my first week weigh in on monday I'll let you know how it goes.

• Posted

Oh my gosh, that is amazing. Well done you. I think you have started brilliantly and walking 3 miles 5 days a week is superb on it's own. Don't forget you are just starting out and (like the rest of us larger food loving peeps) you probably haven't done much exercise over the years and are totally unfit. So walking as you do and getting a sweat on 5 days a week is superb. Keep doing that and if you have the energy and time, do your dvd, but don't worry too much right now about that. Do the diet, take the tablets, do the walking and as you lose a bit of weight and get some more energy start introducing the dvd. You will find your energy levels rise as you lose weight and get that bit more healthy - I now find at night I sometimes can't sleep cause my happy hormones are flying cause I've done a good bike ride. So take it step by step and increase your activing level a bit every couple of weeks. That's what I did with my bike and I can now cycle 18 miles easily in 2.5 hours. Last weekend I did 50 miles over 2 days - 25 miles each day - it was really hard the 2nd day as I think I exhausted myself the day before, but I did finish and when I got home my legs were shaking with exhaustion. 9 months ago when I first got on my bike I fell off 3 times in the space of 3 weeks, sprained my ankle, sprained my knee, fell into a bush where a branch punctured my kneck and drew blood, fell into the road into oncoming traffic where a lorry had to screach to a half - my husband was screaming - he thought I was a gonna - and I cannot tell you how sore my undercarriage got at times, but I kept going and it's getting so much easier and I do actually enjoy cycling now - even have spandex gear - look a fright but who cares right!. Soooo, keep going, you are doing brilliantly.
    • Posted

Thank you so much for your reply, wow thats a lot of cycling i hope i will get there one day. Glad the bad experiences didn't put you off from carrying on. I just hope I lose something tomorrow i have followed all my eating to the letter and doing the exercises but i dont feel any different maybe its just too soon. I'll post tomorrow and let you know how it went.
    • Posted

Hi hun sorry my mistake the gorgeous chocolate orange deserts are 98 cal 2 gm of fat but lovely!! The muller skinny cappuccino yoghurt with chocolate sprinkles are yummy 99 cal FAT FREE!! Bloody lovely lol hope your weekend was great xx
    • Posted

Mmm they sound lovely, I love chocolate orange flavour things. At xmas I always eat all the orange cremes from the quality streets or roses. And I always buy orange aero and orange matchmakers etc. My husband hates flavoured chocolate the loon that he is so when I'm sitting there eating some and he says oo give us some, I hand it over with a smile and he pops it in his mouth adn I wait for the "errr, that's disgusting, errr why do you eat flavoured chocolate, it totally spoils it blah blah blah" - never ceases to make me laugh. I love the muller fat free yoghurts - just had one this afternoon infact, butterscotch flavour (or is it toffee?). Anyway, blimmin lovely. Offskie to make din dins now - some low fat boring thing or other - sigh! Run out of steam at the moment after eating my sisters scrummy meal on Saturday. Laters sweetie. x
    • Posted

Hi sweet hows things you sound like you had lovely weekend 😀 oooh i love anything choccy orange too mmmm could just eat a terrys chocolate orange x having an off day sick of dieting and eating low fat food!! Oooh wish i was skinny and could eat what i wanted x i wish!!! Keep up the good work let me know how you get on i havnt lost any more 😪 x take care hunny xx
  • Posted

Hi oh no stick to what your doing i think your doing a lot now it was just ideas of other excercises i was thinking of x good luck with your weigh in keep going girl 😀 yes keep in touch let me know how you get on good luck xx
  • Posted

Hello all, i thought I'd let you know how i got on today.

Well i lost nothing this week not 1lb which has really annoyed me because i worked my but off and im not seeing anything for it.

I just don't know what I'm doing wrong.

• Posted

Hi dont be disheartened i had the same my 1st week i still havnt lost a vast amount 81/2 lbs in a month now but it will come off just stick to your allowed calorie intake keepyour carbs and fats down to under 5gm per 100gm and it will work keep at it stay focused and stay positive xx
    • Posted

Thank you for your support it really helps, i am not going to give up and hopefully i will see a loss next week.
    • Posted

Hi everyone my names laura and I'm 22, I'm usually posting on this but in the anxiety forum as I suffer with health anxiety and panic attacks! Anyway, just a post to tell u my story hope u dont mind smile I recently got diagnosed with polycystic ovaries and I do suffer with some facial and body hair which is kept at bay by hair removal creams etc, anyway I was at hospital yesterday for an appointment to talk about the pcos and the treatments etc because I'm overweight now I'm not blaming it on the pcos but docs say that's a reason I do find it hard to lose weight anyway long story short we talked about treatment and he's put me on metformin as this is now widely used for pcos and for my weight he's put me on orlistat now I get my prescription Thursday and I'm excited about starting them as hopefully they do make me lose weight and then I can focus on trying for a family but the thing that is bothering me is the side effects of the orlistat now I know u can keep them to a minimum by not eating fat but with me working full time in a call centre I'm scared in case I end up having bad side effects from taking them and I heArd it's like oil coming from your backside sorry it's crude but I think with the health anxiety thing as well I wouldn't want to be at work and this happened sad how can I prevent this and has anyone got any tips for me for when I start them like maybe diet tips? I do suffer from panic attacks and iv only recently gone back to work after 2 months of from me thinking I was having a heart attack every time I had a panic attack as I never experienced anything like it before so I wouldn't want any more time of from the side effects of these tabets if u know what I mean.. anyway enough of that sorry it's a long post but would really appreciate if anyone could give me some advice thank u laura smile xx
    • Posted

Hi laura my daughter has pcos and very much the exact same symptoms as yourself 😒 she struggles with her weight and facial hair anxiety etc she was going to try metformin but shes also very anxious taking any medication at all so please keep us posted of your sucess or any encountered problems orany info i can pass on to her x im taking orlistat have been for a month now lost 81/2 lbs so far keep your fat intake to 5gms per 100grms no more then that and 15grms per meal you will not have any leakage x the orange oil and loose stools is due to taking in too much fat in your diet the tablets expel this hence the orange oil! Metformin helps with weight loss anyway so taking both should give great results 👍 but stick to the fat rule you will do great goid luck xx
    • Posted

Hi Laura, oh dear I can tell you get pretty anxious by the tone of your email. I'm really sorry you have this horrible thing in addition to the pcos, you must feel you were given a bum deal. I can't give you any advice on pcos as I'm lucky enough to not have encountered and neither is anyone I know, but it sounds like your doctors are helping with this. As for the Orlistat, try not to worry too much. That's easy for me to say I know as I don't suffer with anxiety, but I do understand anxiety as a serious problem as a memeber of my family has suffered with it for years, so I know it can be really debilitating, but seriously, if you take your diet seriously and don't consume lots of fatty foods you probably won't have any side effects. From my experience, and talking to people on this forum, as long as you cut your fat intake to no more than 15g per meal (and within that 15g total, nothing is over 5g of fat per 100 grames) you should not have any problems. The first week or so you may feel a bit bloated and crampy but I think that is very normal and then your body gets used to it and settles down. I have stuck almost religiously to the low fat programe and have never had any leakage or accidents and in fact there have been several times when I have been seriously consitpated. I have also on a few occassions had a fatty meal to see what would happen during a constipated moment and its just made me go to the toilet more easily. However, the constipation and bloated feeling has all gone now and I would not know I was on the tablets now if I wasn't actually popping them into my mouth (I have been on them for 7 weeks now). So please don't worry, don't get yourself stressed about them. Honestly, if you stick to a low fat diet, you will be fine. As for the weight loss, there is also quite a bit of difference with everyone. Some lose lots consistently and some don't. But a lot of that is down to your age, menopause, how much exercise you do, how much you have to lose in total etc. I lost 1 stone in my first month and I have changed nothing in my eating plan and my exercise has increased but I've only lost 3lbs this month so far (although I do have another week to go). Bit of a bummer, bit depressing, but my doctor is not worried about prescribing them as I am on target to lose the 5% body weight in the 3 month period. So good luck, keep in touch, and DON'T WORRY. x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.