Loud Abdominal Gurgling Sounds

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello. I'm a 17-year-old male. For the past week, my abdomen has been gurgling loudly. I went to the doctor's after discovering blood after wiping. She said it was just hemorrhoids, but it still concerns me for whatever reason. She recommended to increase the amount of fiber in my diet, so I have been eating around 8 to 10 prunes a day and eating other fruits, such as strawberries and bananas. Ever since then, there has been loud gurgles coming from my abdomen. Could it just be my intestines adjust to the fiber intake or could it be something serious?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Also, it's just gurgling. I can go to the bathroom with ease and there hasn't been any pain or cramps when the gurgles are present.

• Posted

Yes sir. Cut down on the prunes. Need more fiber in diet. Greens will help your digestive system. The blood wipping is a concern. You need a fecal test because of blood. Hey Good Luck to you. Keep in touch I'm curious what they will find if anything.

• Posted

Hi

Which part of your abdomen is gurgling? Upper, lower or all over? Is the blood bright red? Does it ever drip into the toilet bowl or present itself as a bright red streak on your stool? Are your stools and bowel habits what you consider to be normal? Do you experience any other symptoms?

All rectal bleeding should be investigated and the first tests I would recommend would be stool samples looking for signs of blood, and a faecal calprotectin test which looks for signs of inflammation in the Gastrointestinal (GI) tract. Just make sure you stay off pills for a few days before you do the stool sample, particularly Ibuprofen or NSAIDs as these can mess up the faecal calprotectin results. Oh, and try to get a sample on a day when you don't see any rectal bleeding, I know that's hard as we cannot see into the future, but it will eliminated upper GI bleeding if it comes back clear. Colonoscopies / Sigmoidoscopies are usually referred to people who experience rectal bleeding, strange your doctor has dismissed it as haemorrhoids, has she performed any sort of internal examination on you?

Remember a lot of bleeding, particularly if its bright red, is cause by something like haemorrhoids, polyps or a fissure, but can be caused by inflammation. If your stools are dark and tarry, then you need to see a doctor as soon as you can. I bleed almost every time I go to the toilet, and I know it's internal haemorrhoids as I saw them during my last colonoscopy a few months ago, but no other issues were found.

• Posted

Your intestines will need to adjust to the new fibre intake.  Change of diet can affect your gut.  Try reducing the amount of prunes because they are highly laxative and you may be eating too many of them.  Try this for one week and if symptoms don’t improve, see your doctor.
  • Posted

Hi vitaminz

Too much fruit will ferment in your gut and cause gurgling....try eating fibre via cereals and cut down on too much fruit especially prunes...

• Posted

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I tried limiting my fruit and fiber intake today and there were barely any gurgling sounds from my lower abdomen. Also, the blood was bright red and wasn't in my stool. In addition, this happened a few weeks ago and I haven't bled since then.

• Posted

That’s good if reducing fibre has helped the stomach gurgling.  Bright red blood could be haemorrhoids or fissures, however, speak to your doctor about the bleeding and ask to be checked for haemorrhoids or fissures. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.