Love to read everyone’s recovery stories

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi. I had tkr on both my knees   My right knee which was in awful is doing well, whereas my left knee is lagging behind.  My PTs and my doctor say that it is normal. I don’t compare myself to others recuperating but it is frustrating when I can’t sleep in my bed (need to sleep in a recliner), my gait  is off, and I walk very slowly.  I’m lucky because I have no real pain, just a burning sensation, but still it can get me down.  NO ONE told me it would be 6 months until I was somewhat better and a year until I would be me again. It’s been almost 3 months and I’m hoping that by the summer I’ll be able to get to the beach and enjoy my granddaughter.  I am glad I did both at one time - not sure I’d  want to go go through it a second time.  Thanks everyone for sharing!  Do your exercises!

3 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi

I also get a burning feeling. It is such a waiting game. The sleeping problem is I understand. This morning there were more tears as i had a night of intense pain.

Exercise is definitely going to help. Hope you continue to recover.

• Posted

I can't imagine having both at same time! Both knees feeling this way! Wow! I hope you go to the beach this summer! You deserve a break!

• Posted

12 weeks here, going in for a MUA tomorrow because of lack of “good” ROM.   Everything about this surgery is “character building”.   But I have to say I am worried about how much I LOVE sleeping in our recliner.  I told my husband we might have to move it to the bedroom....
  • Posted

Hi Nance. It's taken me two years to fully recover from bilateral TKRs and both mine are not perfect either. Some days I'm glad I can even walk. I could not prior to TKR. Careful at the beach. Sand is unstable and not great for new knees, in my experience. I take a stick or lean on my buddy just in case of a fall. Best wishes. What doesn't kill us, makes us stronger!xx

• Posted

Your a brave soul both at the same time!! Having 1 done stinks but 2 I do not want to imagine how it felt after surgery. I hope you understand no everyone has a great recovery and its not meant to scare anyone, sometimes things happen for no reason at all. I have had too many surgeries ( 17 ) some of them are scopes some partials 2 due to an infection 5 TKR's. My drama really started 7/27/15 had 4th TKR 8/18/15 back in hospital due to infection. Trust me infections are no fun, to get rid of the infection had implant taken out cleaned put back in. I was also given a pic line ( at home IV ) . Everyday for 2 months I had a nerf football size ball of antibiotics to get in my system 2 hours each time. I was hoping things were getting better but then I was told I still had signs of infection so 12/30/15 had a spacer put in for 4 months, finally 5/09/16 had 5th TKR. So yuck. The surgeon that did all this retired and as time has moved on I am still in pain. Found out after getting a bone scan the 5th implant has to come out but now the added bonus of having to deal with bone loss as well. I truly hope no one goes thru this it really stinks. It is great to read how everyone is progressing makes me jealous. I do wish you the best.

• Posted

yes, i didnt know it would take 12 months, would do it again. you are brave having both knees done, how did you get around. i think everyone has trouble sleeping. you take care.
  • Posted

brave man having both knees done, well done, hope you have a summer you want.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.