LOW AB NEUT's/WBC's;- Am I at RISK to be in Wedding this Weekend?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all, I have a few medical conditions that seem to be intertwined, but the one I am concerned about is the Primary Immunodeficiency called, Common Variable Immunodeficiency (CVID); which is low IgG's (subclass I & II- fights virus & such of the upper & lower resp. & GI system). I am to attend a wedding tonight & am worried about my immune system & being vulunable to infection, virus, or bacterias. Also, the wedding is being held at a farm. 

I have been on IVIG tx & doing well for years. However, the last few weeks have been different. Very fatigued, winded, & at random times, like blacking out, but still awake. *** Warning---TMI coming.......I have also had some bloody stools as well, that my GI doc states maybe from "Internal Hemmeroids". My latest lab's came in yesterday, after doc's have gone for the weekend. My WBC's are only slightly on the low side, however my "Absolute Neutrophils" have never been this low.  

ABSOLUTE NEUTROPHILS

747 L         (  1500-7800 cells/uL)

Should I be concerned about attending this wedding on the Farm. It will be around 150 to 200 people, including children, buffet style food. Normally, I watch my IgG levels, never knew to be concerned about Neutrophil levels. Does anyone have any experience, am I at any risk? Thank you for any advice. 

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

I can’t speak for the bodies of others but I have neutropenia (likely, autoimmune) and my latest WBC was 2.1 and neutrophils was 300. I’ve had a cold sore and an ear infection threatening to start but hasn’t yet. I’m a RN in a hospital and my hematologist won’t treat me until I get sick enough to be hospitalized. I go out in public without a mask but I use a lot of hand sanitizer and avoid people I suspect may be sick. I also recently went on a cruise and ate at the buffets but I picked my foods wisely. I’ve been sticking to the neutropenic diet and avoiding fresh fruits and veggies. According to most research, the greatest risk for infection is when neutrophils get <200. But in general, the most common infections we get are when we don’t practice good hygiene and safe eating. I know your wedding is already over but I thought you’d still like an answer. Something I’m learning to do is stop obsessing over my numbers because they don’t mean anything if I’m not symptomatic. My doctor tells me my numbers are just my norms. Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.