Low B12 folate, feratin, vitamin D

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi I’m new here and I’ve been diagnosed with B12 below 150, folate 6 feratin 47, I’m also on Vitamin D supplements (10month course) I saw my doctor 4 weeks ago because I was feeling low and tired I thought I had empty nest as my eldest has been at uni for 3 years now (due home soon) after blood results came back I was put on the VD supplements, I also have adult kidney disease, it’s my kidney consultant thats picked up on the above blood results and written to my doctor to screen for pernicious Anaemia/celiac disease. I cut lactose out of my diet 5 years ago as I couldn’t digest it and gluten gives me a very noisy stomach, but I also have mild vitiligo, I have an appointment next Tuesday to see my doctor So hopefully i’ll get some answers and treatment to get me back to feeling myself again, my kidney doctor noted that my red blood count is in the normal range. Any views.  advice very much appreciated. 

2 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

You are definitely Vitamin B12 deficient and your Folate is on the low end of the scale. 

I'm sorry this reply is so long but as you read down try and "see yourself and your symptoms" so that you can prepare a list of them and any other questions when you see your doctor.  Hopefully he/she will be up to speed on on the subject.

Anyone at any age, can become B12 deficient.  However, certain people are at an elevated risk. They include the following:

Vegetarians, vegans and people eating macrobiotic diets.

People aged sixty and over

People who’ve undergone any gastric and/or intestinal surgery, including bariatric surgery for weight loss purposes (Gastric bypass).

People who regularly use proton-pump- inhibitors. H2 blockers, antacids, Metformin, and related diabetes drugs, or other medications, or infections such as h-pylori that can interfere with B12 absorption.

People who undergo surgeries or dental procedures involving nitrous oxide, or who use the drug recreationally.

People with a history of eating disorders (anorexia or bulimia).

People with a history of alcoholism.

People with a family history of pernicious anaemia.

People diagnosed with anaemia (including iron deficiency anaemia, sickle cell anaemia and thalassaemia).

People with Crohn’s disease, irritable bowel syndrome, gluten enteropathy (celiac disease), or any other disease that cause malabsorption of nutrients.

People with autoimmune disorders (especially thyroid disorders such as Hashimoto’s thyroiditis and Grave’s disease) Type 1 diabetes, vitiligo, lupus, Addison’s disease, ulcerative colitis, infertility, acquired agammaglobulinemia, or a family history of these disorders.

Women with a history of infertility or multiple miscarriages.Symptoms of B12 deficiency tend to develop slowly and may not be recognised immediately. As the condition worsens, common symptoms include:

Weakness and fatigue

Light-headedness and dizziness

Palpitations and rapid heartbeat

Shortness of breath

A sore tongue that has a red, beefy appearance

Nausea or poor appetite

Weight loss

Diarrhoea

Yellowish tinge to the skin and eyes

If low levels of B12 remain for a long time, the condition also can lead to irreversible damage to nerve cells, which can cause the following symptoms:

Numbness and tingling in the hands and feet

Difficulty walking

Muscle weakness

Irritability

Memory loss

Dementia

Depression

Psychosis

The test for Pernicious Anaemia checks for Intrinsic Factor Antibodies.(IFA)

In a normal healthy person the stomach lining has what are called "Gastric parietal cells" which produce "Intrinsic Factor" which travels with food through the small intestine which is made up of three parts - the Duodenum, the Jejunum and the Ileum..

Iron is absorbed in the Duodenum, most other nutrients in the Jejunum and our friend B12 in the Ileum.

Here the Intrinsic Factor binds to the B12 and the "B12/IF Complex" enters the cells on the wall of the Ileum after binding to receptors on the surface of the Ileal cells, allowing it to enter the blood stream.

Sadly some people with "traditional P,A." either do not produce Intrinsic Factor or if they do, they also produce an antibody which destroys it and it is then called "Autoimmune Pernicious Anaemia".

In addition it can happen that we produce "Parietal cell Antibodies" and "Intrinsic Factor Antibodies" which totally wipes out any chance of absorbing the B12.

Sadly, the IFA test is unreliable in that it gives false negatives in people with PA half the time. So a negative result doesn't mean that you don't have PA. However, a positive result is a sure-fire, 95% certain indicator of PA.

Treatment for PA and non-dietary vitamin B12 deficiency is virtually the same.

The symptoms of PA are the symptoms of the B12 deficiency that it causes. If the cause isn't dietary then it is an absorption problem so you need to find another way of replenishing B12 initially. Most absorption problems aren't treatable but a few are - notably h pylori infection - which would mean that once that has been dealt with you would be able to absorb B12 from your diet so wouldn't need maintenance shots for life.

There is a complex interaction between folic acid, vitamin B12 and iron. A deficiency of one may be "masked" by excess of another so the three must always be in balance.

Symptoms of a folate deficiency can include:

symptoms related to anaemia

reduced sense of taste

diarrhoea

numbness and tingling in the feet and hands

muscle weakness

depression

Folic acid works closely with vitamin B12 in making red blood cells and helps iron function properly in the body and your B12 levels are "bumping along the bottom" of the range.

I am not a medically trained person but I've had P.A. (a form of B12 deficiency) for more than 45 years.

I wish you well   

• Posted

Thank you so much for such a detailed explanation of everything, very much appreciated. I’ve made a list of everything I need to discuss with my doctor on Tuesday as fuzzy head and forgetfulness will probably let me down when I get there. It all makes sense reading your reply I have symptoms that may lead to a diagnosis of celiac disease or intrinsic factor pernicious Anaemia, it’ll be really good if I get an understanding doctor and some meds to start feeling human again 

Thank you again x 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.