Low B12 or something else

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have had constant dizziness/off balance, headaches, fatigue for three months now. I have had an MRI and catscan which were normal. I have been researching and have thought that I am having vestibular migraines so am being referred to a headache clinic. I also asked to get by B12 levels checked. They came back at 200. FErritin at 42. I know this is the low end of normal so not sure the doctors will do anything. But it has me wondering if this is contributing to my symptoms...?

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Get your B12 above 500 but unlikely related to your symptoms. Use gummies and consider taking more than recommended dose. I finished a bottle of B12 gummies in a week (meant for 30'days). I got my B12 above 950 after that week. It will deplete eventually but you can just do that again later in the year

Your Ferritin is very normal. Nothing to do there

• Posted

The only natural way of obtaining Vitamin B12 is by eating animal products - red meat, fish, seafoods, poultry, eggs and dairy produce. If you include these in your daily diet, unless you have absorption or tummy problems, you should be Okay.

Your low B12 may well be the cause of your "dizziness/off balance, headaches, fatigue" symptoms but don't supplement without telling your doctor as he/she may decide to give you a course of injections.  Were you given any indication that you would be treated by your doctor?

Your ferritin is a bit low at 42 <11 to 307 nanograms per milliliter in women.> and it would be good to know what your serum Folate is?  Iron, folate and B12 work together to make red blood cells and if you are low in one or other that may prevent the third one from working.

I am not a medically trained person but I've had Pernicious Anaemia (a form of  B12 deficiency) for 45 years.

I wish you well

• Posted

I haven't talked to my doctor yet as I just took the test Friday. In Canada we can get our results on line. She didn't test the folate.

• Posted

I obviously don't know what the protocol in Canada is for treatment of Vitamin B12 Deficiency but in GB it is that patients presenting with neurological symptoms should receive 1000 µg i.m. injections (of hydroxocobamalin) on alternative days until there is no further improvement, then 1 mg every 2 months.

It would be good to know the underlying cause of your low levels of iron and B12.  We normally have several years worth of B12 stored in our liver but if it is depleting over time it's important to find the reason in order to prevent neurological damage.

I will "private message" you a list of people at risk.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.