Low back pain

Posted , 4 users are following.

So, my lower back pain has increased significantly the past year. I've tried pt, I've done 4 epidural injections, and I've had a medial branch block done just recently. I've been taking meds for it continuously and have had 2 surgeons tell me the same thing "yes there is something wrong, no surgery isn't required since you're too young". I'm 23 years old. The pain is like a stabbing pain and very tender mid to lower back that radiates outward in every direction. Having pain in my buttocks, in the front and back of my thighs and having cramping like symptoms in my thighs and hips where it's like pulsing pain as well. Idk what to even do. And idk what it could possibly be. I'm just tired of being in pain all day everyday. Any ideas? Please. 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

It just breaks my heart when someone young has a chronic condition. I'm afraid you may have to accept the fact that your going to be in pain for a long time. However there are a couple of things that you could try. For example have you tried a TENS unit yet? They work for a lot of people. But the problem with them is that they only work while it's on. Another thing that you might look into is having a stimulator put in you're back. Those help a lot of people. Unfortunately it did not work for me. But they have a way of testing it out before it's implanted. Also I would not give up on the epidural injections. Sometimes they do work. I once had an injection that took all my pain away for 9 months. You don't mention what medication your taking for your back. If you are taking narcotics i.e. opiates just be aware the difficulties of taking them. Especially if you live in the U.S. There exists a climate of doubt and suspension of anyone taking them and any doctor prescribing them.

• Posted

Opiates can add to the problem because they lower your pain threshold and also cause depression.

​U may nothave backpain for a long time. No one can predict that at all. Have you tried pgysiotherapy, hydrotherapy, strengthening the core muscles, pilates ?

• Posted

Opiates have a down side but they do not cause depression. Being in constant pain causes depression. And it certainly does not lower your pain threshold. There is a time and place for opiates. And it's a personal decision that the pain patient and their doctor should be able to make without the critisism of people who don't understand.

• Posted

Have you had an MRI or XRay of any kind done? Sounds like Sciatica from a bulging or herniated disk. There is conservative treatment but see what's in there first. If the MD's you see don't want to do them, find another one. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.