Low back strain not healed after 3 months? HELP!

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi all, I really need some help. 

I had an injury to my lower back by lifting something a really heavy box and as a result pulled my lower back muscles. Along the time I was healing I re-spraind it 2 time because of work or being unaware. The muscle seems to have healed but has left me with severe tightness in my lower back gradully going uo my back and quite prominent in the back of my neck and head. I have been using a tennis ball to do trigger point therapy in my lower back and that has been working but the tightness always comes back. Now my neck is constantly tight and feels strained when I have not even injured it. 

What is going on!  I can't focus on work anymore because of my neck. 

I would appreciate if anyone can help me! 

Thank you 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Also to add, i have possible "guarding of muscles" which occurs after an injury and is the body's response to make the muscle rigid to prevent further injury. I feel like it is this guarding that is just not disappeared and costantly active....  sad 

• Posted

Are you taking any anti inflammatory medication?  This is essential to help relax your muscles so that they are not constantly in tension.  Try taking ibuprofen as directed on the packet for a few days to a week. Then stop and see if you feel any benefit.
    • Posted

Hi Marina, 

No I haven't been taking any ibuprofen because I haven't really been in pain apart from the constant tension. Also I've read that the body's natural inflamatory response is necessary to heal injuries ie. soft tissue injuries. Do you think the anti-inflam's will reduce the tension?

• Posted

You are right that the natural anti inflammatory reaction is the best but after 3 months your muscles need a helping hand. Try the ibuprofen for 4 days at least.
    • Posted

Okay, Thanks for your help Marina. I will try ibuprofen and see if that helps a bit. I'll update you on how it goes.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.