Low blood pressure

Posted , 6 users are following.

Have been on tablets for years for hypertension.  Until recently, taken two in the morning - Bendroflumethiazide and Perindopril.   After a recent stay in hospital for high bp, am on another drug Amlodopine to take with the other two.  Since then I have felt a bit off.  Dizziness and tirednes and feeling the cold more, even now. .  A recent bp test at Tesco where they are doing health checks, my bp reading was 108/66.    Can this be the reason for my symptoms mentioned above ?     This is quite low to how my readings usually are and I want to stop taking Amlodopine. Also this drug makes my feel swell. 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I would make a call to the docs office. Wonder if a little white coat syndrome is giving you a higher reading in docs office. When you get home it's not as bad and meds are taking it down to much.

• Posted

Hello Angela,

Amlodipine causes swelling to feet in many patients and causes hypotension (low bp) your bp is way too low and I imagine so is your heart rate.. many care professionals prescribe additional medications when in fact it does more harm than good...

• Posted

annc.04098...You're right!! Most GP's prescribe even more meds when it's not necessary. Rather than wait a reasonable time for whatever meds to do their magic, they go head-long & prescribe more meds or even double the dosage. That's crazy! Yes, a very common side effect of Amlodipine is swelling of the feet/ankles/legs. 

Depending on the dosage of the Perindopril, perhaps the doctor could reduce that a bit, then see how the readings are. 

• Posted

Good health to you Mike... in my experience doctors often feel helpless and have no answers and often prescribe more or even double meds when in fact they should leave the situation alone
  • Posted

Amlodipine and the other derivatives such as felodipine are calcium channel blockers. They are very effective at lowering blood pressure, but often come with side effects.

Too low blood pressure can make you dizzy, especially if you arise from a sitting position too quickly. Also lowered blood pressure does have the effect of not feeling so warm (poorer circulation).

At my GP surgery you can borrow BP monitors to do home tests and fill a daily form out and then give that in when you return the monitor. From that, the GP can take any action based on normal every day to day readings. After that I decided to buy a monitor for home use and now I can do a test whenever I want and just email it to my GP.

• Posted

Yes that can cause your blood pressure to be low and feel tired and your feet to swell you probably need to tell your doctor and maybe cut your amlodipine in half

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.