Low carb diet

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, I have been prescribed orlistat and told to follow a low carb diet, not one low in fat. Just wondering what others have been told? Thanks smile

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hiya. My nutritionist has advised me to do a months trial healthy eating, then i can start orlistat (apparently i look too sensible to go on i rolleyes) and gave me the british heart foundation booklet. Could be worth a try looking up because its a guide to help with how much you eat and what you should eat. however I've decided to do a 1300 cal diet instead. Based on my weight and to lose 2lbs a week. Basically put your weight in lbs x 12 will give you the amount of calories you need to eat to sustain the weight you are at. If you want to lose a lb minus 500 or 2lb a week minus 1000. Then basically google a meal plan for that amount of calories. Kinda went off topic. But hope it helps. Or look for a low carb diet plan haha x 
  • Posted

Carbs are a real problem. I think you can get a carb blocker from the big supermarket chains. I havn't tried them myself, but carbs are my falldown when it comes to dieting. Its so hard.
  • Posted

Is there any particular reason you've been told this? And who by? Orlistat works on the fat you eat, not the carbs. My doctor told me that if, for instance, I ate 100 cal in fat, then those 100 cal would be excreted. I have been on them since March and eat low fat and try to keep to about 1200-1400 calories a day. I've lost about 3.5 stone so far. I eat a diet high in carbs - plenty of rice, couscous, jacket spuds etc and this keeps me from being hungry.
  • Posted

Hi Steph587,

If you read my post, there's no mention Orlistat blocking carb. Its  a product that can be brought from the supermarket, which I have seen and read the packet myself but not used it. This product is usually found around the farmacy area of big supermarket chains.

Carbs are a type of sugar which the body uses as energy; overload too much and wait gain usualy follows - unless of course youi burn it off.

• Posted

Orlistat is prescription only, at least in the UK. There is a lower level tablet called Alli which is not prescription but they are not the same strength.
  • Posted

It's very difficult to keep it. After a while you always feel hungry and angry. I've tried to keep it together with my husband. That time I was cooking lots of high protein meals using my Redmond multicooker. It helps to make each day of the diet different and feel OK more or less. So, be strong, Steph. 
    • Posted

Can one cook such kind of food in a multi cooker too? Sounds nice, I've seen lots of Redmond models, which one would you recommend?
    • Posted

no idea about mary, but I am using multicooker Redmond too, mine is rmc-m4502 . I got it because of all various useful functions and cause its saving my time. So far I like it. It helps me to eat healthy food, all vitamins are staying, nothing can be burned or stuff like that. Its good.
    • Posted

oh and what kind of bowl does it have? I've seen non-stick and ceramic ones there

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.