Low cervix

Posted , 7 users are following.

i am four weeks post op ( pelvic floor repair and SSF) and feeling great.  Only problem is my  cervix is still very low down.  This morning in the shower I had a wee feel and it is just at the opening of my vagina.  Does this mean the op hasn't worked?

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

• Posted

hi gingerbabe, alot of us have had a lump/bulge after out op , im 6 weeks 3 days and still have a bulge somethines coming so low im convinved its a nother prolpase but i have been assured from my doctor it is where my stitches are , apparently it takes a good few months for it to go away xx
    • Posted

Thanks Helen.  I actually felt inside and could feel the tip of the cervix just inside the vagina.  I am trying hard yo be positive but fear the worst!  I have recovered very well from surgery and am now up to four miles for my walk, so find it very worrying that I might have to go through it all again.
    • Posted

im sure you will be fine smile if u search the posts there is alot of ppl feeling the exact same way, im still the same but have been reassured it will settle x
  • Posted

Gingerbabe when you say your cervix is low, was it low before your operation (I mean the same position)?
  • Posted

It's not your cervix, it's a stitch. I had exactly the same. I've had anterior, posterior repair and SSF 8 weeks ago. I had a feel, then a look and was convinced it was my cervix I could see and feel right at the entrance of my vagina. Had my 7 week check and my consultant convinced me that my cervix is now up high and what I could see is my back wall where it's been stitched. It will take some time to heal so don't worry!

K x

• Posted

I too have felt bulgy,so I take it that it's normal. I have felt the cervix as well but am too scared to probe!! I am 5 weeks and 4 days. The trouble with me is that I was very unfit before, so it has been difficult.I manage to get down the road and back but I have a bit of sciatica since the op too. I am sure you will be fine...I just go to the doctors if I am worried..I think we are all frightened of it all coming down again..even a sneeze is a bit worrying!
    • Posted

Indeed it is!  I think we all expect miracles as we are not prepared for the level of discomfort afterwards.  They give you all the factual stuff but don't mention the little stabby pains, the discomfort down below and how tired you will feel.
  • Posted

Sorry meant to ask. What repair did you have? Rectocele, cystocele?
    • Posted

I had a pelvic floor repair and Sacro spinal fixation.  Cervix was outside vagina ( stage 4 prolapse) before the operation
    • Posted

So it was a womb prolapse? Pelvic floor repair means rectocele, cystocele or uterus 
    • Posted

Yes womb prolapse.  He had thought he might have to do an anterior repair but when he went in he said the walls of the vagina were fine
    • Posted

That's good news about the anterior repair Gingerbabe. I agree with the other ladies it's probably a stitch you can feel. The cervix feels very smooth but a suture wouldn't, you would feel a tiny knot or some rough parts. Are you having a post op check with your surgeon? He is probably the best person (other than your GP) of course who can absolutely put your mind at rest. If you are anxious please see your own doctor if you aren't due to see your consultant because anxiety will only hinder your recovery x
    • Posted

Not had an appointment yet.  He said he would see me in eight weeks so still waiting for appointment to come through.  He had planned to do anterior repair and vaginal hysterectomy but tightened the pelvic floor muscles and did the SSF instead.  Kind of wishing  he had done the hysterectomy as then it wouldn't be able to come back down and the fact the walls are good means I wouldn't be liable to have bladder or bowel prolapse.  Almost sure it is cervix as it is very smooth and I got to know it very well the short time I had a pessary fitted!  Why would op fail so quickly if that's what it is?
    • Posted

Well you don't know it has failed Gingerbabe yet and I'd be very surprised if it had however you know your body better than anyone. Why don't you ring the consultant's secretary and ask if she has any idea when your appointment will be because although he said 8 weeks often they run behind. You could also see your GP and ask him/her to have a look. You aren't going to relax until you know for sure but as I said before it is rare for a repair to fail and in such a short period of time.
    • Posted

Thank you, I might just do that as I have booked Portugal for six weeks time.  Think my problem is I am a golfer who plays most days and,on the days I don't, I go a six mile walk.  Can walk three to four miles just now but am really missing the regular exercise plus the banter at the golf!
    • Posted

My friend plays golf and after her repair she was climbing the walls. I'm not sure you should be walking as much as you are Gingerbabe at this stage although I don't know what you were told after your operation and I never go against consultants advice (well only sometimes) but it is more than we recommend 
    • Posted

Physio said the same last week so have cut it down to between two and three.  
    • Posted

Physio said same last week so I have cut it down to two or three miles.   Only talking about 40/50 mins walking time with no pain or discomfort
    • Posted

Hello I have a post on here after having a prolaps opp can anyone read it and give me some advice please x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.