Low cortisol

Posted , 8 users are following.

I am 43 have struggled all my adult life with fatigue, managed it better when on contraceptive pill. No longer allows to take, I have struggled for 8 years off of it. 

I have had several blood test showing low cortisol , 195, 222 303 etc. 

I have had three sub optimal sst tests. 

My latest results were 393 at 9 am 452 after 30 mins. 

No adrenal antibodies found. Addisons ruled out 

MRI and ct scan show nothing despite 

severe pain in my right flank and right lower abdomen. I produce a huge amount of progesterone but this doesn’t appear to bother doctors. I am exhausted all the time and very skinny and bp is low. 

I have sweats at night and a feeling of anxiety. 

I have looked up Candida and wondered if this could cause or is caused by adrenal function. I think I have it despite a healthy diet. 

Any thoughts would be much appreciated. 

Thanks Louise x

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I have been studying lots of pages from reputable sources. I am very choosy who I get information from as there is a lot of google misinformation ...! I have never know about taking hc in times of extra stress only. People with Addison's HAVE to double the amount of hc they normally take in several instances like having surgery or tests like colonoscopies, dentist visit with some drilling and that, flu, colds (I got a list in the winter handbag. But I never read of having 'some hc' just like that. Have you been tested for ACTH levels?

I have a pituitary adenoma, a microadenoma, but even with this,  the comments of the endocrinologist and the neurosurgeon have been 'inconclusive'. It just goes on. No commitment so to speak.

My partner is from London; we lived there in the early 90's. Then, moved to Spain, and in 2006 we came to Australia.  I had a brain tumor, I was  an Australian citizen since 1984. To have brain surgery in Spain was difficult for my partner as he did not speak much Spanish... I do not have a family, so we came here  for me to have surgery and we stayed. 

Sorry for the length.... but at certain age, unless one has been healthy and lived in the same place for years,  lots of  things have happened, sorry.

One thing I find a bit strange is that you said that contraceptive pills helped you? Are you sure your right adrenal is the problem?  Thyroid gland and adrenals are connected but I cannot think why contraceptive pills could help your adrenals... who told you that?

monsie :-)

• Posted

Hi sorry to hear you have had many years of struggling. It’s so hard. 

Estrogen is a steroid so the pill gives you a small boost. I was never great but did feel better. I keep looking at all hormones but it’s a mine field. 

What websites do you choose? 

Thanks for helping   

• Posted

Thank you for your kind words. I just wish I could change things for people in need could get the help we deserve.

I look at PubMed nlm.nih.gov, wikipedia, Thyroid UK, Mary Shomon (thyroid), , STTM (thyroid),  Joseph Mercola, drugs.com.

The first two are sometimes very technical a too 'FDA' sided. Wikipedia is rather good, some times a bit too 'FDA'. The following three give you info on adrenal glands as well as hypothyroidism. Holistic information pages are rather down to earth. Perhaps some other pages I cannot remember until I see them displayed when I google something. 

I avoid WebMd and MedicineNet I think they are called and mostly 'US stuff'. But it is difficult because google info is dominated by US. 

I have been trying to get rid of Google Chrome but I do not know how to do it...!!!!  and so far I cannot get help from anybody.

Mercola explains in one of his reports the downside of Google Chrome or any Google for the matter I suppose

monsie :-)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.