Low Cortisol...little NHS help

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello,

I'd been feeling fatigued/jelly legs/craving for sugar/energy for about a month until I went to the doctors.

First blood tests identified cortisol was down at 170 (bloods done at 11am) and lacking in Vitamin D.

2nd Round of tests was at 9am and cortisol remained at 170.

3rd test (9am bloods)   for Addisons   came back negative but blood cortisol was down at 140.

4th blood test (for various things) all come back as normal and cortisol was up at 330.

Referred to NHS Endocrinology Team who weren't too fussed about the low cortisol as every other test came back in the normal ranges. Pretty much end of story

Has anybody had similar and what is the supposed base line for normal cortisol levels.

Thanks,

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi 

This could be me!! However my cortisol wasn’t quite that low around 200. I have had several borderline sst tests but with no help offered and my last cortisol

Was 392 so they have ruled out Addisons. 

I feel your pain as the fatigue is debilitating.  I am pretty much left with a diagnosis of chronic fatigue with no help! I am super skinny, exhausted and have really sore muscles. 

I genuinely believe mine is female 

Hormone related although this is proving difficult as blood tests again show no menopause although I feel like I am at 43. 

I have a very clean diet, work full time just! And move around as much as I can. 

I have come across a Facebook page called the rcp (root cause protocol) I have implemented a few of the things and have to say it is helping. my anxiety has gone completely and my nervous energy I was running on has gone too. Now just tired instead of physically exhausted. It’s early days but it is really helping. 

Take a look but don’t give up on doctors I still go back as I keep having the same symptoms and pain in lower abdomen, I know something is not right. The rcp is helping me manage but I am determined to find out why I feel like this when on paper I am healthy!! 

Good luck. 😊

• Posted

I am doing the root cause protocol too because doctors are no help either. They diagnosed me with cfs too. I've been doing the rcp for 2 months and I see am seeing little improvements here and there, which is a good sign.

How long have you been on the protocol and did things get worse before they got better?

• Posted

Hi

I have only been doing the ac and mag and started he liver today. It’s been about a week so early days and more to add, just tying to go slowly, can’t afford to feel worse! 

It’s so rubbish isn’t it, Im sure mines hormones but they seem to hide when it’s blood test time for that one second!! Do you know what’s causing tor cfs as I truly believe it a symptom not an illness on its own!! 

Nice to find someone who understands. 

• Posted

I've been doing the AC without the cream of tarter since I have low cortisol, and have not added magnesium since it also lowers cortisol and sodium, hence I have low blood pressure.

Just like you I have added bee pollen, liver capsules, apple cider vinegar and now boron. Been feeling little better. In another month I will add rice bran.

I think my cfs is probably from dysregulated iron and copper which drove magnesium low and kept vitamin d low. Taking vitamin d made the unbalance mess even worse. It probably weaken my adrenals and affected my thyroid. Same as you I think hormones are at play but they always come up within range even though I feel so depleted and unwell.

Keep me posted on your progress on the rcp.

• Posted

THATS interesting, thought the cream of tartar and mag along with other things was meant to

Normalise cortisol. I have asked the question on the group, will let you know. 

• Posted

Yes, I am. It is not a nice thing to have low cortisol. Have you been prescribed hydrocortisol (HC)? How much? I take the physiological dosage of 20 mg/day.

I have low cortisol since god knows when. It was found in 2015 and still battling with doctors and reading books, and learning how to survive with it. Take it easy. Try not to get too stressed. Be philosophical... learn how to do mindful meditation... the latest helps a lot.

There is a lot of people like us. Just that they have not been found to be low on cortisol. At least we know...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.