Low dose amitrypteline? Please help

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have had depression for many years now which resulted in me becoming alcohol dependent. i am clean now so ready to tackle depression my mood had lifted i was sleeping and eating quite well. Went to Dr they recommended sertraline 50mg was ok apart from i went back to not sleeping my IBS flared up and for some reason i need to pee constantly and sometines not much comes out (dont knowif these connected) went for my 2 week review ( I know it can take a month + to kick in but was prepared to persevere!) Doctor was a bit abrupt. Mentioned the not sleeping well again ( had to use OTC stuff to go to sleep) so he said stop sertraline and go on amitrpteline 10mg increase to 20mg if need be) i was on 10mg previously for ibs and it didnt get me to sleep but i did sleep better. But i think this is a low dose for depression and pharacist agreed..... last time i was on sertraline i was on amitrpteline also........ he said now im not drinking if i sleep that might be enough? What do people think? Thank you

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Is your doctor a phychiatrist? If not please see one. If he is change. My sister has IBS and has started probiotics and she says a big improvement. Check out probiotics for the best ones, otherwise your wasting your money. The reason I said change doctors was because he sounded insensitive. A doctor with depression by no means should be abrupt or insensitive. I think it's great your not drinking anymore and are willing to ask for help with depression. Im not a doctor but have been dealing with depression for many years. I truly want you to get these issues resolved and get better soon. Depression is hard to discuss with people that don't have this disease. I find it is great to talk with someone that knows how living with this can be. Come back as much as you like and know we are here to support each other.

• Posted

No he's not a psychiatrist by any means! There was a lot I wanted to say but couldn't as I felt rushed. I thought he might sat continue with sertraline but take amitrpteline on a night or something else. But no just that now

I can't go back to work until it's resolved. Yes I'm a lot better in myself but what if this doesn't last when I go back to work. I can't go sick again as I'm down to half pay. And worried 20mg of amitrpteline gonna make me groggy and effect concentration. Sadly he's the only regular gp there the problem I've had before is seeing a locum every time I go and them suggesting something different! Maybe I should change surgeries? Thanks for you support it really does help. I just want to be better and stay that way

• Posted

Hi,

Amatryptaline has its uses, and has been prescried for many conditions over the decades.

However, physically it can drag you down. It takes several hours before it hits you. The first time I took my prescribed amount was at night. The next morning I was terrible, kept falling asleep, couldn't concentrate.

I agree with above, try to get a second opinion, Amatryptaline can be debilitating.

Mike.

• Posted

Hi mike yes I remember last time I was on it it does take a while to kick in on a night when you take it and for a week or two I feel really groggy and then it passes but still feel a bit tired. He is only regular doc at my surgery there was no one else to see in a month. I don't know about maybe changing surgeries he just didn't listen

• Posted

Hi,

If your suffering from a mental health problem and your GP won't address it then perhaps you could write a letter explaining your position and ask the practice for help and advise.

Mike.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.