low dose diazepam for 3/4 months. will I experience withdrawals on stopping ?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have MS & prescribed diazepam (5mg) for muscle spasm. I never take full dose, only ever 2.5mg on a when needed basis. I've always been worried about addictive nature of diazepam. After particularly bad spell last summer my GP persuaded me not to be afraid of taking diazepam.

Over last 3 or 4 months I've been taking 2.5mg every night to help with night spasm. But for last 3/4 weeks have taken prescribed zopiclone 7.5mg 2 or 3 nights per week. GP told me not to take diazepam on nights I took zopiclone, which I didn't. But, I took 2.5mg diazepam as usual on other nights.

Up until last weekend when I took nothing at all for 2 nights & then had an awful sleepless night. It was then that I researched zopiclone, and was horrified at what I read about it. And it's relationship to diazepam ! I haven't touched zopiclone for 4 nights now and will never take it again. I have taken my 2.5mg diazepam though.

My question is...could I be (inadvertently)now physically dependant on diazepam ? And, will I now experience physicl withdrawals symptoms if I stop it ?

I want to stop the regular nightly 2.5mg but want to know if you can be physically dependant on a low dose. I cut the 5mg tab in half to take the 2.5 so I'm not sure if I need to cut this in half for a few nights (if so, how long for?) Or will I be ok just stopping ?

I've found a lot of advice about coming off higher doses & withdrawal, but nothing about smaller once a day doses. I can't believe I could have unknowingly become physically dependant and want to stop. Any advice/info much appreciated

2 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I am on 2.5 mg. and trying to go off. Worse mistake I have made because I did not know the strong addiction.. I feel since you have not been taking it for only a few months you can try cutting in 4th's and be safe and start that way. It is taking me very much longer because I have been on it for years. Good luck. You will be OK but try yourself.  If it is bad, take a little and see doctor.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.