Low dose Panadol and alcohol

Posted , 5 users are following.

hi, freaking out now because of stupidity. Have been on one tablet 500 mg or 665 mg Panadol per day for 3 months . Yesterday I had 2 tablets. And I drank wine, which I don’t do normally. My liver has always been fine. But I had more than recommended amount of wine. According to doctor Google it’s very dangerous to combine those two. When I discussed the painkillers with my doc a couple of months ago, it was understood that I don’t drink at all. But yesterday I did and now I’m freaking out. I can’t go to any doctor, I’m abroad and everything is a bit complicated right now. Is there a danger with this now.?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Conta, I am on co-codamol 4 tablets per day (2 in the morning and 2 before I go to sleep) for many years and have 2 glasses of wine per day and have done both of these for many years. I also have a genetic liver disease called Caroli's disease. When I asked my liver consultant whether it was OK to take co-codamol and wine he said those amounts were fine but that I must not under any circumstances increase the wine, and if I increased the co-codamol I had to stop the wine.

• Posted

Hi gill and thx. What i understand is that you are implying that im fine with this. Is that so? I probably am? I would like to think so because my liver is fine, or was a year ago, and i have totally quitted even my moderate drinking. Havent had any alcohol for 9 months, so....fingers crossed i will be fine.
  • Posted

I think you need to be careful with Dr. Google - you can get a lot of incorrect and scaremongering information.  I believe that you are fine but you do need to be careful not to drink more than 1 pint or 2 glasses of wine per day, and certainly never to have more 8 co-codamol per day and ideally as little as you can possible get away with - a lot depends on the amount of pain you have, you specific pain threshold and how you cope with pain all of which are different with everybody. I believe what my liver consultant has said, he is a professor at Leeds Hospital but do be careful about drinking and taking any tablets, not just panadol which I presume is a branded version of paracetomol.
  • Posted

Ok, whilst I'm no doctor I do know an awful lot about liver function and I can tell you now that this one slip up is unlikely to affect you as long as you don't keep doing it. I have a friend who is addicted to zapain (prescription high dose para and codeine mix) and she drinks a shed load of vodka all the time and is in her late forties! She has done this for a long time and she is still going strong. The liver is the best self healing organ in the body and will heal itself quickly. Drink loads of water and if you can manage your pain with a non paracetamol based tablet for a few days your liver will get the break it needs to replenish itself of these toxins. There are many signs of liver damage such as shaky hands and yellow eyes, if you don't have any of these symptoms (and I highly doubt you do) then I really shouldn't worry. I would recommend trying not to take these tablets anymore though. Although you are on a very low dose, daily paracetamol, even at a low dose, will still stat to cause liver damage overtime and the codeine, again, even at a low dose, will become addictive and you will find as your tolerance builds you will feel the need to take more of it and end up in the mess that a lot of the rest of us on this forum are in. And forget Dr Google, he causes more stress than good imo.

• Posted

Conta I feel that you have too much time on your hands and are worrying about nothing. Chill out and stop googling and worrying please!

• Posted

Hi there, sometimes my anxiety gets a bit overwhelming. Yes. Thank you john69167 and all you others that have answered my questions. You answers did help,

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.