Low-dose Paroxetine....should I?

Posted , 6 users are following.

So....I saw my doctor this morning, and she has suggested I try a low dose (7.5mg/day) of paroxetine (generic of Paxil)....I've read about a billion horror stories from people who took this drug....has anyone had good luck with it? Specifically, at this low dose? I left the doctor's office telling myself that I was just going to give it a try without Googling the side effects, but that lasted about twenty minutes...now I'm staring at the pill, terrified to take it because of everything I just read. This is the third SSRI I've tried to take in the last eighteen months, and I always get myself totally freaked out before I take the first dose, imagining all of the horrible things that could happen, and then (surprise) I end up having a bad reaction (likely due, at least in part, to my own thoughts)...ugh!!!!

I'd love to hear from anyone who had (or is having) a good experience....no nightmare stories, please smile

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

friend your doctor knows more medical signs than google. i think there is lesser risk in following docs advice rather than google. if you get any problem after taking medicines then again consult you doctor, dont google it. if you ate worried already about medicine then either you take the medicine or not, your anxiety will automatically increase and then you will misinterpret it as medicine side effects. so just believe in what doctor says and consult him if you get any problem after taking medicine. all the best.
  • Posted

Doctor precribe me the same medicine proxtine. 1 week ago he gave 12.5mg and now he increases the dose after a week 25mg I have been taking it since 8 days and I started feel abit better (not much) though, but as I take that pill I feel lil uncomfortable for an hour after taking it but then its fineĀ 
  • Posted

I was on this way back when it was new. Low dose for anxiety and it worked. Horror stories are basically how brutal paxil is to come off of like myself when I went on effexor from paxil. I from my own experience had best results from effexor xr, cymbalta, pristiq is like your not taking medicine but works fast. But these drugs weren't out when paxil was. Its a weight gainer looking back. But yes it works. And good luckšŸ˜Š
  • Posted

I'm the same I'm sat here with mirtazapine in my hand scared to take it cos of the horror stories.. But hey I will take it if it takes me 4 hours lol x
    • Posted

I'm the same way with meds. I'm scared and afraid. Its sets there until I build up courage. But if it helps you that's what's important. Paxil was the best out of older meds then new Dr just switched me. But seriously what's the worst? Stomach ache or anxiety maybe at first? I keep Benadryl on hand and my Dr said that's ok till I adjust. It works and its safe. Gets u over the bumps.
  • Posted

I'm on 15mg a day and it was a huge life saver. I spent many years on clomipramine . The move to paxil took a few weeks but has managed my anxiety really well.Ā 
  • Posted

I agree with other response. Never google side affects etc. That's only for legality reasons. Either you take it and try or you don't and suffer. I'd rather try. Be comfortable. Its a good med. And low dose. It worked for me and a friend as well. In past. When it was new. No complaints but weight back then. You'll be fine whatever you decide.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.