Low egfr

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone, first time on here.

about 8 months ago my blood test showed a egfr of 62, which the doctor wasn't too concerned about.

im not feeling well at the moment waiting to see a gastroenterologist, my doctor decided to do another blood test my egfr was 38, as I'm feeling really tired and ache, feeling sick, I'm concerned.  My doctor has just said to repeat another blood test in a months time.   I'm worried about this low reading, I wished my doctor spoke to me re this low reading, I'm just feeling in limbo, can it suddenly go back to normal.

thanks would appreciate any feedback

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

My first inclination would be to see a nephrologist. From my own experience waiting does no good unless you just had some tragic event happen to your body that you are bouncing back from.
  • Posted

My guess if you are seeing a gastroenterologist you already have inflammation issues and it moved on to your kidneys. This was the same thing that happened to me.
    • Posted

Found out I had kidney disease. I guess the quicker you address that, the better.
  • Posted

Hi Sandra, my egfr has gone up and down over thelast 4 years dipping to 56 and hitting 90, it usually stops around 59, however I do get kidney pain and uti's more than most, as a precaution my uroligist put me on an antibiotic to be takenkonce a night which I started on August the 24th, when I was prescribed it the February before my egfr was 90 but I misunderstood that I had to take theis antibiotic as a precaution so in August when I attended my GP with what I thought was a water infection I was told to start taking it, she didnt monitor my bloods and I took the medication, 4 weeks after im seriously ill and rushed to hospital, my egfr had dropped to 24, I had fever and rigors, ended up as an inpatient for 2 weeks severley dehtdrated and breathless, it turns out I shouldn't have had this antibiotic due to low egfr...which has now dropped to 17, im now on steroids to try and recover my inflamed kidney I am currently running on 1 kidney which is working on 15%, but the professor says not to worry as dialysis doesnt start until the egfr has dropped to around 10 and that kidneys are good at repairing themselves, the antibiotic is nitrofurantoin, so check this out and dont take it if your egfr falls brlow 40, I now have a hormone problem which is affecting my calcium intake....all because I had that antibiitic when my egfr was so low, they are saying I had a severe allergic reaction to it! I go back to hospital today to see if the steroids have bought my kidney function up and my creatinine down which was at 254 when I came out on Tuesday, if my inflammation has gone down I am having a biopsy. ...I just wanted you to know that the consultants say its probable that my egfr will recover and that 38 I would be aware of certain antibiotics that you may get put on as mistakes can easily be made, but that kudneys are good at repairing...please dont worry too much as egfr can go up and down..good luck x
    • Posted

Thank you that is very informative as I'm on permanent antibiotics because of lymphodema infections in my right arm.  My doctor has said she will test my blood in another month, it is worrying though.
  • Posted

Hi Sandra I see that you have kidney disease.  I do also.  An EGFR of 38 means that your kidneys are only working at 38 percent.  Typically your kidneys do not come back from this.  You should see a nephrologist is possible.  The things you can do for yourself is exercise, keep blood pressure under control, if diebetic keep that in tight control.  If you are overweight lose it.  If you smoke stop it.  Where eating is concerned you might want to look up kidney friendly foods.  The AAKP (American Association of Kidney Patients) has a lot of valuable resources you can download.  They have a Nutritional Counter booklet you can download with all nutritional values.  Get to know your bloodwork numbers intimately.  Especially GFR, potassium, phosphorus,sodium, these are the most important. Make sure you tell your doctor any pain or changes in your body.  Also of any drugs or suppliments that you take.  Don't take advil/motrin type products.  That will hurt your kidneys.  Only tylenol when needed.  Hope this helps.
    • Posted

Hi thank you for all that good information, my doctor hasn't seen me since this blood result I've just been told to repeat bloods in a month.  I'm seeing a gastroenterologist on 10 November I've waited three months for this appointment, I take 69 mg of lansoprazole, Ramipril 10mg plus gastric medicine, I've read that some of these medications can cause kidney problems.  I do feel a bit worried about all this and also that my doctors hasn't asked to see me.  Thank you again Sandra
    • Posted

They usually repeat bloodwork for three months to verify that it is truly kidney disease.  Doctors are not really forthcoming with info on kidney disease.  Be your own advocate.  Your kidneys are your life.  Be prepared with questions the next time you go. Don't expect the doctors to tell you answers to questions you don't ask.  Hopefully you will get a doctor that does.  Basically they will see you every three months from now on until your numbers decline more then you will go more often.  Don't let them tell you not to worry unless they can tell you exactually why you shouldn't.  Meaning answers.  Now is the time to worry to the extent of trying to save what kidney function you have left.  Learn everything you can.  Rhonda
    • Posted

Sandra by the way I was terrified when they first told me.  Took me a while but once you except the condition and learn more and more you feel a lot better.  I still have days where waves of fear come over me but realize no matter what happens it is no good wasting my days worrying.  It really does get better.  cheesygrin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.