Low ejection fraction on scan

Posted , 5 users are following.

So the HIDA scan I had done showed ejection fraction of 32% with normal apparently being 35% and over. So gallbladder is not functioning properly. No gallstones showed on most recent ultrasound. Waiting to see surgeon. Having a lot of pain just now despite eating as little fat as possible. Then temperatures as well. Could all this pain be caused by the gallbladder not working as well as it should?

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

I developed jaundice. Please watch for dark urine, pale, chalky stools, itching, yellowing of skin and whites of eyes, shivering and generally feeling very unwell. I actually passed out.

Hope you get sorted soon.

• Posted

Thanks, will do. Have had some of those symptoms already but bloods came back normal so just having to get on with it. Really hope the surgeon says they'll take the gallbladder out! xx

• Posted

Hey there  you got some results straight after your HIDA scan - Well done, more than me!

I had my letter on fri 1 week after scan saying my GB doesn't function 'normal' and i've referred to the surgeon for consideration of surgery.

I son't even know what that means - I mean what's wrong with my GB and whether there's anyway of avoiding surgery.

I might call the dept today and see if I can get someone to explain the result a bit.

Best wishes,

• Posted

The only reason I got results a couple of days after was I ended up at GP in pain and having fevers too 👎🏼 . Got lucky in that they had scan results there. Not bad considering I got told it would take a week minimum haha.

From what I understand it basically means your gallbladder isn't releasing enough bile to digest any fats you're eating. Or it's taking longer than normal to digest them. The GP hadn't heard of the HIDA scan test so wasn't useful at interpreting any results! Said its best to wait and speak to the surgeon.

You got any idea when appt with your surgeon will be? Maybe they'll suggest just eating low fat foods for a good while then when the gallbladder starts playing up then get it out at that point? I'm already at the point it's constantly sore just now so more than ready to get it out!

• Posted

Hi Scottie, I managed to see the surgeon within 3weeks after my hida scan and I had xmas in between. My hida scan results were 14%. The appointment I had with the surgeon was very quick and you have to choose to have surgery as its elective. I was in alot of pain too and then had to wait 8 weeks for surgery as he wasn't able to do it sooner. The pain got alot worse in that time but you will need to have your gallbladder removed as I know some are looking at alternatives unfortunately when a gallbladder starts to not function correctly it'll only get worse until it doesn't work at all and then it could get infected so you will  need to have it out.

Unfortunately for me they said they didn't think all the pain I had was from a non functioning gallbladder so even though my gallbladder has now gone I'm suffering from nerve entrapment in the abdominal wall so my pain hasn't gone but it isn't always like this and most are fine after having their gallbladder removed.

Take care x

• Posted

Definitely gonna be asking to get it out as soon as possible as cannot cope with the pain at times! Will prob end up an inpatient again before I'm due to get it removed though haha. Which would actually be better!

Hope your treatments for the nerve entrapment help you soon! xx

• Posted

Yes I was like that, I was missing so much work and not able to live the life that I was use to.

Let me know when you hear from the surgeon. xx

• Posted

Hi, have you heard anymore yet about your next appoint? smile
    • Posted

Yep I see the surgeon in 10 days 👌🏽. Hoping he can fit me in for surgery as soon as because majorly struggling with symptoms just now that's keeping me off work too. What about you? xx

• Posted

That's real good to hear!

NO no more news for me yet, i'm in no rush as i've really cut down on fat and only had one episode after eating Ainsley Harriot (low fat) cous cous - must have some intolerence to something in it as I was rotten after it.

• Posted

Weird how some random thing affects you! Was told to eat things with less than 7g of fat per 100g. Only thing I really crave is cheese! Which has about 35g of fat per 100g haha. Hope you hear from the surgeon soon to get some answers xx
  • Posted

Have you tried other options then surgery? Just asking because I am 3 weeks post op & wish I had done more research. I was admitted to the hospital because of the pain, ultrasound and ct scan all came back normal. HIDA scan showed my fiction at 10% (really low) went in for emergency surgery. The surgeon told my family that the gallbladder looked great once they had it out & he doubts that was problem even with low function. 3 weeks later I am worse then I was nausea, vomiting, diarrhea and can't eat and still have the pain on the right side. It angers me that Doctors tell you oh it's ok you don't need it, it's gonna make you feel great once it's out. BS you do need it! And the problems you have without it are horrible! Bloating, gas, acid reflux, same pain, running to the bathroom, accidents, nausea, and weight loss from not eating. I have severe anxiety to leave my house because I don't know when I might have to use the bathroom (I don't use public restrooms) I have lost 20lbs not that I didn't need to but in 4 weeks is not healthy. If I could go back I would of researched & tried an alternate route before surgery instead of just trusting & believing in Doctors. I feel like I was at the mechanics and they are just trying things to see if it works & if it doesn't ooops 😡. Now off to see a gastroenterologist for an upper GI hoping to find the problem. I had 2nd CT scan with contrast and that came back normal too. I'm tired & at my wits end, living off baby food & boost protein shakes! Good luck & sorry for the long post 😁

• Posted

Hi Vanessa, sorry you're having problems but don't forget if its only 3 weeks since surgery your body needs to adjust to living without a gallbladder and for some that takes alot longer. It maybe that you need to take bile binders. Its very early days for you and your insides take alot longer to heal than people realise. 

I've seen people on here with the same problems as you but in time they have got better. Unfortunately there is no alternative to a gallbladder thats not working properly and you have to have it out otherwise it could end up diseased and far worse.

Have you been back to see your surgeon? Hopefully your gastro will be able to assist you.

I had mine out in March as mine was only working at 14% but they did say to me that they didn't think that all my pain was down to the gallbladder so I was more aware that this isn't a fix all. Now I'm having treatment for nerve entrapment in my abdo and its going to be a long process. I did have all the tests ultrasound, gastroscopy, ct scan, mrcp, and finally a hida scan before they would take my gallbladder out and I'm still having tests now just to rule other things out and everything comes back as normal. I'm now with the pain clinic and gastro which isn't much fun.

Give it time as its early days and your body should adjust, I haven't had problems that you have except the pain which is worse than before but thats due to the nerves.

Let me know how you get on. Take care 

• Posted

I've been eating very low fat foods since being told I had gallstones. Tbh I think the fact the gallbladder isn't working is causing all my symptoms. And still think my gallbladder is distended and causing the pain too. Being admitted to hospital with raging temperatures and abdo pain isn't any fun either but again I'm almost positive it's down to the gallbladder issue. I know I'll still have to watch what I eat and know that it's not a quick fix too. But it's a chance I'm willing to take as I can't go on taking time off work and feeling as rubbish as I have been. Really hope your symptoms ease up!! As Katherine says it's still early days xx

• Posted

Sorry to hear you're having issues following cholecystectomy. It is very early days. You've had surgery to remove an organ and your body needs time to adjust. It could take weeks or months as everyone is different.

Before you do anything else, look at your diet. When surgeons say you don't need a gallbladder and can eat 'normally' after cholecystectomy, what they actually mean is you can eat as in the eat well plate- i.e.  the healthy diet we should all be following. They don't explain that you can't eat fatty foods afterwards without repercussions. I cut down on fatty and spicy foods and alcohol and gradually increased my fibre intake (fibre soaks up excess bile that is now constantly dripping into your intestines). Speaking to other gallbladder sufferers that I know personally, some can eat whatever they like afterwards but others, like me, have to watch what they eat and how much they eat in one go. I can't eat fatty, spicy or large meals any more or I suffer for it, but actually it is not such a bad thing as I've lost four stones gradually over the last eleven months. It's the best diet I've ever been on as the consequences of straying from it keep me on the straight and narrow! If changes to diet don't work, there are medications that help.

I agree with Katherine. You can't hang onto a sick gallbladder without risk. I was diagnosed with gallstones in September 2016, had open cholecystectomy in February 2017 and a liver resection March 2017 because they found cancer in my gallbladder. It's a rare cancer but if I'd not had cholecystectomy, it'd not have been discovered and would still be growing and spreading inside me. I would not wish anyone to go through that for the sake of trying to keep their gallbladder when it wasn't working properly.

I hope things start to settle down for you soon and you feel better.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.