Low fat alternatives to meat and poulty.........

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello all, its dancing Daisy with a question for you guys!

I am not a vegetarian as such, but lately have been opting out of eating meat in favour of the Soya based products, as they seem a far healthier option fat wise.

It has taken me a while to get used to the taste and texture, but now I am finding that I am quite enjoying this alternative to meat & poultry and am now contemplating giving up meat/poultry altogether.

I know it's difficult when you have a family to feed and cooking two seperate meals can be a pain, added to that they are not particualy cheap to purchase, but wondered if any of you guys in the forum have tried or opted for these low fat alternatives?

Daisy x

///*.*\\\

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I just started orlistat and my mum is a vegan so she can't eat quorn anymore (was a veggie before)

However she can eat Linda McCartney's veggie sausages.

Gave them a try the other day to give myself a bit of variation other than lean chicken.

They are surprisingly very delicious. I assumed they would be like quorn sausages. Similar texture and taste. But they're so much better! A fantastic meat alternative. I love meat and whilst I enjoy quorn, I know exactly what it is and I'm not the biggest fan. I'd rather have meat every time.

If you handed me those Linda sausages without my knowing, I would probably think it was just a strange new sausage type I've never had before haha.

The texture is crumbly so it's not quite like a standard sausage but it's totally great. I'm going to be buying them more frequently, not just for the healthy eating side either. They're just generally very nice.

• Posted

Hi Issues :-)

Yes,I have tried those LM sausages, they are very tasty.. I do like meat/poultry,but since being on Orilstat have looked for healthier low fat options.

I do not try to compare it with meat/poutry, as I know it does not measure up taste wise, but in general I feel it is a good option given the need to eat less fat and get my weight down.

Daisy x

///*.*\\\

• Posted

Ive found by mixing 50/50 mincr with quorn your cutting the fat and meat but still able to have a decent portion. Its stops that initial drasticness of stopping meat xx
    • Posted

Hello Claire :-)

Yes I guess 50/50 option would make it easier, if you found the taste/texture off-putting, but for my sins I have become used to eating whilst on Orilstat.

I cant have dairy either, so drink the soya and nut milks, I guess eating the meat alternatives is just an extention of that really!

Daisy x

///*.*\\\

• Posted

I can tolerate the 'mince' as long as I add loads of herbs etc for flavour but the fake chicken pieces just made me sick within minutes for some reason

im eating chicken breast and venison...but just keeping to small amounts. E.g yesterday I cooked a chicken breast but just had half of it with the meal and the rest today. I like meat and im not prepared to give it up albeit I feel the meat/dairy trade is cruel and barbaric.

• Posted

I do tend to add lots of flavourings to soya, in the form of sauces and herbs, but as I mentioned it does not compare to the real thing, I see it for what it is, nothing else.

I recently had Chinese house guests and on one occation did not have enough minced meat to make spag bol, so used the soya mince instead and was surprised they didnt notice it was not real meat until I told them!

Daisy x

///*.*\\\

• Posted

Hi Daisy i eat Quorn although when i first started i ate Vension which is lovely. I only eat quorn or beanfeast these days. Some people are allergic to Quorn as husky said which i am the same the chicken pieces give me awful stomachache and vomiting x
    • Posted

Hello lovely Britney :-)

Thankfully the chicken pieces dont affect me, but they dont taste like real chicken :-(  I tend to use them in a stirfry, so they pick up some of the flavours of the onion etc.

It's strange, but by taking this Orilstat, it has opened up a whole new way of thinking with regard to my diet. These days I think more about what is actually going in my mouth, especially the nutritional value of various foods.

Daisy x

///*.*\\\

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.