Low Fat versus Some Fat

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi - I've just started taking Orlistat yesterday - so far, so good. I've been following a low fat, low calorie (around 1200 per day) for a while now but the weight isn't coming off, or it does but then creeps back on. So, at 18st 1 pound, I asked the doctor for help.

My question is I've heard conflicting information about adding in some extra fat as opposed to following a low fat plan - obviously if I'm sticking to a low fat diet, I should avoid the "orange oil" syndrome but I wondered if anyone had some advice?

Cheers, C

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

You don't need to add any extra fat. Just stick with the low fat diet and you won't see any oil side effects all my meals are low fat and it has worked for me.

Good Luck

• Posted

Excellent - that was what I thought plus it helps your brain to re-educate so hopefully you will continue to make healthy food choices.

@Britneyspears - hope you don't mind me asking some questions, how heavy were you when you started? And where are you at now? I'm scared to weigh myself as it's early days for me but I feel slimmer - weird wink

• Posted

Hi @Mamarock i was 19.5 stone as of Jan 13th 2013 that's when i started the tablets and was a size 24 i am now a 12-14 and am 12 and a bit stone getting weighed again on Monday i will post when i know i'm going by my last weigh in 4 weeks ago. I felt slimmer after a few days aswell i guess it was the bloat going! so glad i started these.i personally don't weigh myself at home i would obsess too much so i get it done at the doctors.

What about you what's your weight and your goal weight mine is between 9.5/10 stone I have posted on various posts across this forum with tips etc

Good Luck and let me know how you get on smile x

• Posted

Hiya - WOW I hope you are very proud of yourself, that is amazing. *****FANTASTIC****** smile

My current weight (when I was weighed at doctors last week) is 18 stone 1 pound. I went to ask for some diet guidance and advice like that and she was so supportive and helpful and asked if I wanted to try Orlistat - she explained the socially embarrassing side effects, which I was OK with as I've been following low fat eating for a while. So, I said yes. I felt really good that I had the strength to ask for help and even better when the help I received was so good.

My goal weight (I"m 5ft 6) would be around the same as yours, if I could actually get to under 10 stone I would feel absolutely brilliant, but I'd be happy to just start seeing a downward movement in what I weigh and start feeling better you know.

I have a 5 year old son, so if I have dropped some weight by the Summer it would be great to have the energy to run around with him.

Thank you so much for the advice xxx

• Posted

Good morning, thanks for your comments. I would like to put some low carb diet that i use.

Breakfast

Option 1:

7 Egg White Omelet – allow 2 yolks only

1 cup veges eg. Mushrooms/capsicums

2 Plain Corn Thins (as alternative to bread)

Option 2:

1 cup Oats (cooked 2 cups) – (place ½ cup water in oats then cook in microwave or eat cold

(alternative is special K flakes or plain muesli with no dried fruit)

1 heaped tablespoon Natural Pineapple or 2 Kiwi fruit or ½ cup frozen berries

Lunch

Option 1:

3 hard-boiled eggs

A large green leaf salad of your choice

2 Tablespoons of low carb commercial or homemade dressing

Optional: Sprinkle with Spicy Sweet Pecans

Option 2:

200g Cooked Lean Meat: chicken breast, Fish of any kind, Rump Steak, Eggs (10 egg white) (230g raw)

1 full cup greens (coleslaw, herbslaw packs at supermarkets, frozen vege is fine)

Tablespoon of lite oil dressing (Italian, french or olive oil)

1 full cup Basmati Rice (1 cup raw = 1.5 cup cooked). Or medium sweet potato (fist size)

Afternoon Snack

Option 1:

1 oz string cheese

Option 2:

20 Plain Nuts = cashews/almonds or walnuts (inside palm size)

Dinner

Option 1:

6 Egg Omlette with 6 slices smoked salmon with salad on side

Option 2:

200g Grilled Chicken

2 full cup greens (coleslaw packs as mentioned)

2 Tablespoon Lite Cottage Cheese - OPTIONAL

Dessert

Option 1:

8-10 strawberries, dipped in

¼ cup sugar-free chocolate sauce (ganache)

Option 2:

½ cup of low sugar jell-o

I hope it will be useful.

Kind reagrds. Luis

• Posted

Thanx Luis,

That is pretty much what I have on my food plan.

For my office lunch, I mix my raw veggies with a tub of bake beans. It's not so dry.

(Not too sure of the fat content in the beans. I'll have to check when I next buy a pack)

Jane

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.