Low ferritin and b12 symptoms

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have had 6 loading b12 injections - now having iron supplements as ferritin is at 10.

Symptoms:

Achey legs and arms

Muscle fatigue 

Foggy head

Burning in arms/ legs at times

(Pins and needles at times) 

Are these symptoms others have experienced?

I was so worried about MS however neurological checks, bloods and MRI all cam back clear.

Doctors have said it's because of low b12 and iron. 

Been on 1x ferrous sulphate a day for 2 weeks and now upped to 2 x iron a day.

Is this normal?

Thank you - can't help worrying! 

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

• Posted

I had the same symptoms when I was first diagnosed with iron deficiency anaemia. However, I ne'er had an infusion, instead I was given ferrous fumarate 3  per day for 3 months, then 2 per day for 2 months. OK for 2 months then ferritin low again so put on 2 ferrous fumarate for 2 months. Taken off in January and now feeling ill again so waiting for another blood test to check ferritin levels again.

• Posted

Thank you, did you feel achey and muscle fatigue with your low ferritin then? worrying they are missing something but dr keeps reassuring me it's low ferritin and b12. 

Thanks for replying 

• Posted

Hi, do you take vitamin C at the same time as iron supplement? vitamin C helps absorb the iron much better, iron supplements do not absorb well, I took bisglycinate iron capsules 2 -20mg capsules per day, 1 morning 1 night, I opened up the capsules into about 100 mils of water with effervescent vitamin C in, it worked pretty good, ferritin up to 138 in 8 weeks,no side effects.
    • Posted

Thank you for reply,  I am drinking g orange juice following the iron tablet but not an actual vitamin c supplement. Do you think this would be better? 

• Posted

Hi, I think vitamin C would be better, I bought some effervescent 1000 mg tablets, those in a tube, and broke one in quarters so it became 250 mg pieces, because I thoughf 1000 mg was a much at once, I took 1 piece in a morning with iron, and 1 piece at night with iron, as I said in water mixed with the contents of the iron capsule contents and just stirred it well, there is probably more vitamin C in the tablets than orange juice, I'll check this.

• Posted

Hi, the recommend daily intake for vitamin C is about 75mg to 120mg, which you usually get from diet, but the higher dose with iron supplement is to aid iron absorption, like everything you can have to much, lots of info online about this, cheers.
    • Posted

Thanks so much for your advice. Much appreciated.

Just want to feel better :-)

• Posted

Please be relieved the MRIs and other test came back negative and you doctor is treating you for you vitamin deficiency. I’ve been reading nonstop about it for weeks trying to figure out what’s wrong with my daughter and the doctors have been little help. 
    • Posted

Thank you, trying to stay positive. Just hard when symptoms don't seem to be improving. I know it's early on and ferritin takes a while to improve. I hope your daughter feels better soon! 

• Posted

I've had low b12 a few times and it totally messed with my anxiety and mental state. I went to my gp with symptoms of restless legs, weird tingling and twinges in my legs, walking was off, my anxiety was horrific. My limbs felt so weak. I had stomach problem and sore throats. When I rang for my results they said they were normal. I ended up in A&E as I was a wreck and didn't know why. The doctor said my b12 was morbidly low. Had to go back to the GP who said I was borderline! And they would repeat the test in 3 weeks!!! None of this was said to me. I was told all was OK. 3 weeks on the tablets and the symptoms faded. I've had low iron too. When it was low it was 3 and after getting better I realised how ill I was. Any vitamin deficiency can make you feel so ill. Have you had tests to see why you suffer with these deficiencies? Have you been referred to gastro? I was on iron tablets for years. B12 deficiency disturbs the nerves and mental state.

• Posted

I had this too. Told my b12 wasn't that low at 167 but I had lots of symptoms so they did treat with loading dose of 6 injections which stopped nearly 2 weeks ago. I hav been extremely anxious and worried which drs say isn't helping and could be contributing but I just can't see how it's making me feel so bad. 

My ferritin is 10 and I can honestly say my legs and arms are driving me mad. 

• Posted

I had a baby 11 weeks ago and lost a lot of blood and also am vegetarian (for 20 years) so they said this is most probably reason why. 

During my pregnancy I also had hyperemesis so could barely eat anything, so again drs said levels would have depleted from this. 

• Posted

Do you know all my problems started after I had my first child. My iron was low 10 months after my first born.. I lost a lot of blood but was never tested after I got home. I went to the GP with hair loss and bruises on the legs. I had 30 bruises! She ran a blood test and my iron was low. She said hair loss and bruising aren't a symptom of low ferritin but I've read it is. I have no trust in my GP. I had massive anxiety as to why my iron was low for no reason. They blamed my periods but at the time I missed them. It made me ill googling what it could be. Now I think it was because I was on stomach tablets for years plus the amount of blood I lost during labour. B12 can go low due to stress and anxiety. Thankfully I respond well to the tablets. My b12 was 143. 145 is normal so she classed me as borderline! I feel symptoms in the 160s. Last time I felt my symptoms I was told it was in my head even though I was close to being low! We are all different. It's my legs that are my main symptom. It's a weird feeling. Having a vitamin deficiency can make you very anxious. It took me months to get my iron up. I now get scared incase it goes down again as it took so long to sort it and you really don't realise how bad it was until you start feeling better. You just put it down to being tired or doing too much. I've had low folic too which is just like b12 symptoms. I was referred to the gastro. Have you had a celiac blood test?

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. I know a lot of drs keep trying to tell me I had post natal depression and anxiety but I knew there was something wrong. 

I'm not sure about the celiac test, I will ask next time. 

It's so frustrating, heamahlibin is borderline but b12 and ferritin low. 

Legs and arms are the worst symptom, feeling heavy and muscle achey. Again they keep telling me I'm anxious. 

Do your muscles feel like this too? Also get burning sensations on and off. I feel like I have run a marathon! 

• Posted

You should always ask for your result readings. After the time I said about ending up in A&E I now ask for all my readings. It's good to know what is normal for your blood results. My red blood count often can dip. My hemoglobin also can. It's good to note it all down every blood test.

Yes I've felt heavy and weak in my muscles. Low iron makes it harder for your blood to pump around your body. Your heart has to work harder so you feel exhausted. It sounds like your b12 will be the cause of your muscle weakness . I pushed to see a GI. They usually test for celiac when you have low ferritin.

• Posted

Thank you. 

Drs just seem perplexed when I say my muscles hurt in my arms and legs.  

It's such a horrible feeling! 

How long do you think it took for your symptoms to start improving?

Thanks for your help

• Posted

My iron took months. I was on 3 tablets a day. After 3 months it went up into the 60s.

B12 was alot quicker. Around a month. I've found some fab vitamin b12 tablets that I buy now. I take them if I feel its getting low.

The iron will make you feel weak. Your blood isn't getting as much oxygen so you're bound to feel weak.

• Posted

Thank you,  I only received the 6 injections - not on any other b12 supplement as they said hat should be enough. But still having symptoms 3 weeks after last injection. 

Not seein much improvement either from ferrous sulphate.

• Posted

It took 3 months for my ferritin tablets to work and even then I didn't feel 100%. If you're still not feeling well go back to the doctors and ask to be referred to gastroenterology. Did they test your folic too? As a deficiency in that has the same symptoms as b12. I was adiment my b12 was low once but it was my folic acid. You just have to keep pushing for tests if you still don't feel right.

• Posted

Thank you so much for all your advice! Really appreciated 
    • Posted

So sorry I did not see this question.

Unfortunately my ferritin is down to 8 and I am having lots of symptoms again. - achey muscles, weakness, pounding heart and short of breath, lightheaded and headaches.

Back on ferrous sulphate 3x a day.

Very frustrating. On a positive note my b12 is still improving.

How are you now? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.