Low Ferritin and Low Folate..

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been diagnosed with low ferritin and low folate..

Folate is 8 and should be between 10 & 300.

Folate is 2.3 and should be above 4.

Also had my b12 checked which was 200 and should be between 180 & 1000.

I've been put on Ferrous Fumarate 210mg's I was prescribed this 3 x a day but due to IBS ect the doctor and myself found I tolerate it better on 1 & a half tablets a day. 

Folic acid is 5mg a day. 

I have a few symptoms like shortness of breath, tiredness, dizziness ect, but my worst one that I hate is my hair is thinning and on the sides even more so.. I was wondering if anyone else had this problem and when your levels returned to normal did your hair come back through?

Also even though my doctor says my b12 is fine should they be treating me for it as it is on the low side and it always lingers between 190 & 220 and personally I think it should be higher really but my GP won't treat it.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Sorry I mean Ferritin is 8.. Not sure how to edit my post 🙈

• Posted

Also I'm being tested for Coeliacs disease on Monday to see if that has anything to do with my low levels..

• Posted

Hi. I improved my hair taking a silica supplement and also biotin. My hair grows faster when taking it and is also now thicker. It will take a couple of months to see the improvement when your ferritin levels are up.

I still take feroglobin capsules, a supplement with B6, B12 and iron.

When taking the ferrous fumerate I had to take with a meal otherwise I felt nauseous. The breathlessness should ease soon.

Hope you feel better soon

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. I'm just so fed up with the breathlessness! 😤😡

I will look into that for my hair as the thought of going bald fills me with dread! x

• Posted

Hello, I just wondered how you are getting on now? I have just had blood test results of ferritin at 6 and folate at less than 2. My doctor has left me prescriptions the same as yours but hasn't spoken to me. I am concerned about what might be causing such low levels. Did you find out? Do you still have to take meds?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.