Low ferritin and tsh is 296

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi I recently had blood tests following heavy night sweats for a menopause screening. The results showed a ferritin level of 13 and a tsh of 296 how are these related. I am now on 630mg daily of ferrous sulphate to be retested in 2 months.The last time I had a ferritin test was 2009 when I was only at a level of 29 then. i am always cold, feel lethargic, occasionally feel lightheaded and sometimes get blue lips. I also feel quite tearful at times. I also have very thin hair that falls out when washed or brushed. Can anyone shed any more light on this for me please. Thanks NIc 

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

They are not related to one another. 

Ferriin is a measure of Iron stores in the blood. Do you know your Hb?

TSH is a measure of thyroid function and in the UK the normal range is 0.5-5 mU/L.

I suspect the lab your doctor is using is in different units. Do you know the units of measure of your results.

• Posted

Hi no sorry don't know the units of measure. My hb is 12 at the minute. Thanks for taking the time to reply.
  • Posted

Your blood count Hb is good, but if your iron stores are low then it can be worth having iron for a little while. If you can get a print out of your results then you can post them here for some explanation. Alternatively ask your GP to explain !
  • Posted

Hi yes I am taking iron thankyou. I keep reading about optimum levels being at least 50+ for ferritin so I'm wondering why when it was 29 nobody mentioned it. I obviously wasn't experiencing the symptoms that I am now. Thanks gpgo
    • Posted

Hi, I hope you don't mind me asking but my dr called me to say that my Ferritin was 17 so needed to iron which is fine but I don't know anything about it. What syptoms do you have? Are you just taking iron for your treatment? x x
    • Posted

Hi Rachel I am on 210 mg of ferrous sulphate 3 times a day for the low ferritin. Yed my Dr said I need it for a minimum of 3 months she wants my levels up to at least 25. I went to the Drs complaining of fatigue, night sweats, cold feet all the time. They did a menopause screening and I don't know why they chose to test my ferritin as they've not done it since 2009! Despite me having gone to the drs before with these symptoms. What signs have you been having and how did your ferritin test come about? Thanks
    • Posted

Hello,

Yes I'm on the same but twice a day, I went to the drs because I was having constant bleeding after starting the pill, she took my blood pressure which was low but I'm on medication because its always been high so that was odd. She asked me how I'd been feeling, I'd been having lots of dizzy spells so she sent me for a blood test! My HB is 13 though so that is good! It's just frustrating not knowning anything about it! I didn't mention about my excessive hair loss as I have recently had a baby and thought it might have been to do with that but have read this as one of the symptoms! Do you know much about it? How are you feeling on your tablets? Thanks for your reply x x

• Posted

Hi I too have been suffering from weak hair so much so that I haven't been for a hair dye since last July as my hairdresser is concerned. I haven't mentioned this to thd Dr I also get pins and needles in hands but I am worried about mentioning these incase the dr thinks I've just read up and imagined these symptoms. It is the overwhelming tiredness that I can't get my head around. I only know what I've researched and the Dr basically said it's like your savings in the bank and they are running out because your purse has withdrawn it all. The ferrous sulphate is to try and replenish the savings so to speak. My periods are horrendous so I am also taking medication to try and stop them being so bad as the dr thinks this is whats causing my low ferritin. lets hope we both get sorted as the ferrous sulphate side affects are not great sad x
    • Posted

Well I generally have quite thick hair but it so much just keeps coming away! I haven't actually spoken to the dr the receptionist called me to say that I needed the medication and why, so haven't had an opportunity to talk about it sadly! Thinking about it I have also had pins and needles and thought it was odd as I wasn't leaning on that foot or hand at the time! I too am worried about talking to the de about symptoms incase they think the same! :-( Do you get any headaches, I seem to be getting them most days at the moment? I know, after both my children I heamoraged and had to have transfusions then iron tablets, I remember them being awful them, I really don't want to take them :-( x x
    • Posted

Hi I too had really low iron after giving birth and had to have blood transfusions and several months of tablets.I haven't had the headaches incidentally my blood pressure is 110/60 my friend said it's low but the dr never says anything. Do you mind me asking how low yours is. It seems like we are both at the beginning with this. I am pleased to be able to chat to someone else thankyou x
    • Posted

Yes, I think we may have a lot more to learn! Yes I'm very glad to have found you, thank you! Yes yours does seem low, is that a normal reading for you? Mine was 110/69 which is very low for me I usually have very high blood pressure! Do you ever have emotional down days? I seem to have had 2 over the last couple of weeks and have no idea why, only whilst on my own though, when playing with my children I am great! X x
    • Posted

I have had tearful days when little things upset me my normal reading is 120/60 all through pregnancy it was that so maybe that's just my normal I don't know. At least we know the ferritin can be dealt with so hopefully we will both feel much happier soon x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.