Low ferritin related hair loss

Posted , 4 users are following.

After terrible hair loss just over a year ago my GP carried out lots of blood and thyroid checks and found nothing wrong so referred me to Dermatology at the local hospital. I was diagnosed with female pattern hair loss and the consultant said that my ferritin level was a bit low at 28mcgs/L when it should be around 70. So i bought my own iron supplement - liquid feroglobin which seemed to help and the hair loss slowed and i started getting new growth around the hair line. About a month ago the hair loss seemed to start increasing again so my GP tested my blood and my ferritin was now at 60. She prescribed ferrous fumerate 210mg tablets which i have been taking for 3-4 weeks. However the hair loss is now awful, its coming out in my hands, my plug blocks with it and i have to comb it off my bedroom floor every day. I am now panicking and i'm worried all my new growth is going to disappear as well. How can this be? Surely it cant be the sudden increase of iron? I'm feeling i should perhaps stop taking it. Can anyone suggest what might be going on. Thanks.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Iron can help if your hairloss is from low ferritin. However, sounds like your levels are ok (watch your cholesterol levels on iron). My ferritin was an 8, so 60 is pretty good.

But you say you were diagnosed with female pattern and that's got nothing to do with iron levels. That's hereditary.

Maybe try Rogaine instead?

• Posted

Hi -my college daughter has the same problem, but we never got her ferrtin levels above a 27! I was wondering if there is any truth to that it has to be over 70 for hair growth? How are you doing? Hope your hair has stopped shedding. Did increasing the levels help?

• Posted

Hi. The dermatologist told me about 70 as a ferritin level for hair growth and i have seen that said again when looking online at various articles.

I'm not sure of my levels now as the doctor doesn't want me back for at least 3 months to test again. I wish we could test ourselves!

The hairfall hasn't stopped. I sometimes think it may be slowing but then when i pick it up off the floor each day and empty my shower plughole i am amazed i still have any hair left. I try not to wash it everyday but it looks awful on the days i don't and starts to separate as its so fine and thinning out. I am only taking one ferrous fumerate 210 a day but a liquid iron morning and night (14mg per 10ml) because of the extra vitamins and minerals in it. I have also started a B12 spray and a zinc supplement. So it's now been about a month since i posted so 2 months since i started the iron tablets and i guess thats still early days.🙁

• Posted

Hi - my haur had been falling like crazy! I'm 54 and going through a bad menopause. How old you?

• Posted

Hi, I'm 48. After all my blood tests the doctor said I'm not going through menopause yet but im convinced i must be peri-menopausal. The doctor did not want to prescribe HRT at this stage. I realise i could go back on a contraceptive pill but i had been on it pretty much all my adult life and decided i wanted a break from it about 4 years ago.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.