Low ferritin? Should I be taking supplements?

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hey everyone,

I had blood work done two years ago and found out I had low ferritin, it was at 15. I started taking iron supplements, for the first couple months 150mg and then down to 75mg. I finished all my supplements the last summer but I didnt bother to check up on my iron levels right away. Finally I got blood work done again about a month ago and got the results back. My doctor requested a full iron panel for me. Everything was OK and my doctor said I didn't need to take any supplements but I am a bit sceptical. My hemoglobin and all that is actually very good, but my ferritin still seems low, it is now at 23. My hemoglobin has always been good it is just the iron stores that are low for me. I do notice my anxiety and fatigue have been so much worse the past couple months and I experienced the same symptoms right before I got tested two years ago. I am thinking of going to another doctor to get a second opinion, but i would like to hear what anyone here has to say.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.