Low fever and stomach pain in waves

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello out there... 4 months ago went through a slight infection, or diverticulitis. for the past few days I have been having nausea and stomach pains center, left and rt sides?? ive also got a low fever at 99.1, which is not normal for me at all. Has anyone experienced this? should I be worried? the pain isnt that horrible, kinda like heart burn, but doesn't go away.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

If you have pains that come in waves, and a temperature, that is normally a sign of a diverticulitis infection. If it had just been stabbing pains, no fever, I would have suggested clear fluids only for 48 hours. But in this case you might be best to see your doctor before the infection get worse.

• Posted

I will go tomorrow. I just hate the thought of those horrible pills again.

• Posted

What pills did they give you? Some antibiotics are much stronger than others and all of them kill off the good bugs in your gut along with the bad - which leaves your gut vulnerable to colonisation by more bad bugs, and/or yeasts.

• Posted

The stand drugs is cipro/ flayg and even in hospital situation that will be given IV and then 7 days of pills when you go home. If you know of anyway around the drugs do tell...

• Posted

flagyl and cipro. I'm,better now, but I noticed that if I havent gone more than 3 times a day, the pressure build up in my colon seems to be the problem? I only eat chicken, no cheese and lots of smooth fibrous, or soft foods.

• Posted

Cipro is what I mean by a "strong" antibiotic and, if you look at the fluoroquinolones (namely Ciprofloxacin, Levofloxacin, Moxifloxacin/Avelox and Ofloxacin) discussions here you'll see that they can have some very severe side effects. Taking probiotics for the same period (but not within 2 hours either side of) Cipro is always a good idea but certainly taking pro and prebiotics afterwards is essential too.

If this was your first time with Cipro and you feel ok apart from the gut problem then you should be fine, but if you can avoid it and any of the fluoroquinolone family for a couple of years it might well be worth it.

• Posted

This pair of drugs have become the standard treatment for a DD flare and I'm sure that they do save many from a lot of misery. Unfortunately there is a chance that this treatment can lead to worse things, although most doctors will deny it. I found this, which might help as a preventative, if not a cure (also see warning at the end):

From the Home Remedies Cupboard (by David J. Hufford, Ph.D.,)

Barley. This grain is a digestive anti-inflammatory. Add some to vegetable soup or stew. Or buy some barley flour, flakes, and grits.

Brown rice. It's easy on the digestive system, rich in fiber, and calms inflammation and spasms in the colon. Eat it plain or as a dessert with a little honey, mix it with vegetables for a stir-fry, try it in the morning as a breakfast food instead of oatmeal, or boil it for a tea and drink the liquid in addition to eating the rice. There are no limits to the ways you can serve up brown rice.

Garlic. This can help prevent infection. Eat 1 clove, three times a day. Chop it into a salad, or add it to soup or stew. (To retain its effectiveness, add the raw garlic after food is cooked, because heat can destroy the medicinal benefits.) Pasta sauce, however, is not a good choice for adding garlic, as tomato-based, spicy, and acidic foods can exacerbate symptoms.

From the Home Remedies Refrigerator

Papaya. This soothes diverticulitis. Find a nice, ripe, red-tinged papaya, cut it open, toss away the seeds, and eat. Use it in a fruit salad; it's especially good with melons. Or put it in the blender and make juice. Add a little honey to sweeten it up, if necessary. Papaya has an unusual but enjoyable flavor.

Pear. Another fruit that can soothe inflammation, pears don't need any doctoring to eat. Simply find one that's ripe and enjoy.

Potatoes. They're tasty and nourishing, and they have soothing, anti-inflammatory properties that are especially good for digestive woes. Because grease can aggravate diverticulitis, avoid fried potatoes of any sort. But any other cooking method will do: baking, broiling, or boiling.

Do Remember

Exercise. Everything in your body works better, including your digestive tract, when you exercise.

Skip the caffeine. It can cause digestive upset.

DON'T rush things. It takes time for your bowels to move, so allow sufficient time.

Cut back on red meats. They weaken the wall of the colon, which is where the pouches in diverticulosis start.

So, this is not from me but a doctor, and he includes the following warning:

"Warning! The following are to help prevent the development of diverticulitis or to ease the mildest of symptoms. For all other symptoms, see a doctor!"

• Posted

In combination, I couldnt keep them down. I agree on avoiding them, I hope never to have that in my body again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.