Low fibre/high fibre

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello diagnosed last year with multiple diverticular and internal hemmeroids and 1 benign polyp after colonoscopy. I had it done because of persistant constipation and blood in stools. The surgeon said the blood could have been from either the hemeroids or the diverticular.I should add I suffer from anxiety bad for the last 2 years so that does not help as you will all know. I was also told I had IBS around 8 years ago. I am 71.

Since then I have done the Low fodmap diet not strictly but found it made constipation worse but helped a lot with bloating. My gp tried movicol and lactolose both seems to give me cramps and urgency. I have been taking fybogeL with mebeverine for well over 1 year. Although it helps with going every day and mostly easily the stools are still very lumps like no 2 bristol chart and this is when I get small amounts of blood. When I have been lucky enough to have a normal stool there is no blood. What with Christmas and my anxiety I have been very stressed of late mainly due to having had to take 2 courses of antibiotics for other problems. The second ciprofloxacin which I know is often given to those with Diverticulis affected me. I did not want to take it as my husband had had a allergic reaction to it some years ago. I did so after gp said it was completely safe. However I have had all sort of symptoms although to be fair not sure if it is just an exageration of my normal health problems. However my gp not the doctor who prescribed the drug has recorded on my records as an adverse reaction. So I will not take them again unless it is a matter of life or death. This last week we received news that my neighbour of nearly 40 years had died. Of course this was a shock and now living 200miles away from him and his wife. During the last few days the constipation has got worse not sure if it cipro side effect I read on the Ciprofloxacin site that it can take upto 1 year for digestive system to get back to normal after taking it. So if you have other digestive problems like us Gastritis as well as the Diverticulosis and IBS it must make it worse. 2 days ago I woke feeling very bloated and heavy with back pain and constipation. I wondered if this could be my first flare so decided on soft food diet did not think my symptoms very bad enough for all liquid. It seemed to make me feel better but constipation is now worse so in desperation I took extra fybogel and had wholemeal bread at lunchtime and broccoli in the evening. I woke up this morning with grumbling tum and mild pain left hand side but no temperature and I don't feel ill. After going to the toilet only a small amount of lumpy stool with blood again I felt better. My husband is seeing our gp this afternoon and I am going with him to ask for advice.

Sorry Ihave been so long winded but I never seem to get to the bottom of this problem. So what do I do now start again with low fibre and endure the constipation of go back to high fibre. I have not eaten this morning just a drink. I am off soon to see my grandaughter in a play and she has a speaking and singing solo so don't want to miss it. Perhaps it will take my mind off it as this problem is always on my mind. We are going to family for Christmas Dinner so worried about that too. Anyone is the same boat and can advise me on what they did. Thanks for reading this.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

i eat a small scone for breakfast everyday(imake my own) . I TAKE MIralax often to keep me open. FIBER bothers me so i dont eat much because i get terrible stomach cramps. i do use a heating pad to help when i feel crampy and take dyclomine for spasms. it is a prescription. I'M 72 and have been dealing with this for 20 years.

I ALSO HAVE IBS and right now have a flare up. LIGHT diet. soft foods. i had steak and a salad which i stay from snd IBS is in full force since yesterday. im either constipated or diarrehea. seldom perfect. HUGS

• Posted

HI AND MERRY CHRISTMAS! I too was diagnosed last year with severe diverticular hemmoroids and IBS . the diet is hard but i do eat whatever i want now off low/high fod map diet. I stay away from dairy, seeds , red meat and popcorn. I take daily a good pro biotic, digestive enzymes, stool softner and mulivitamin. I DO not do good on high fiber so drink meta mucil daily. I am always constipated and belchy gassy, does not matter what i eat or drink. I to have developed bad anxiety and panic attacks, which is hard its all the mind gut relation. AND feel I am in middle of flare up, but not having the normal symptoms. just feel icky, and its weird cuz I go poo but dont feel like im empty lotsa pressure . and crampy. No blood or fever. so going to DR just to be safe, blood work for infection or inflamation. But im hoping its just the holidays and stress it causes, Best wishes and hope you will find some positive answers.

• Posted

Hello and thanks for your reply. I am going to do the low fodmap properly in the new year. I know what you mean about getting constipated no matter what you eat. I think I feel better with lower fibre with hardly any bloating and pain but my bowels think otherwise. My gp has told me it is ok to take fybogel when either doing a soft food diet for a flare or when doing low fodmap. It is very confusing never sure if I should eat this or that. I have been eating natural organic yogurt I also take yakult.I think most of my problems are caused by anxiety and more recently the ciprofloxacin. Both me and my husband have arthritis him in the hips and neck and me neck spine and knees so I know we don't go out as much as we should. Some times it is hard when you are in pain. Anyway hope you feel better soon as you say probably holidays and stress. Merry Christmas and a Healthy 2019.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.