Low fodmap diet for IBS might work for Diverticular disease?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello I have posted on here on various aspects of Diverticular disease. I should mention I have been diagnosed with diverticular disease following colonoscopy last year. I fortunately and I don't want to talk too soon have never had an attack of diverticulitis. Around 3 months ago I started the low fodmap diet on advice of my gp and it really helped with bloating although I had to adjust it a bit to include more fibre to avoid constipation. I am having bloating and slight lower left twinges but no temperature and I feel.ok. because I have both DD and Ibs I wondered if the foods you need to avoid with low fodmap are the same as many of the foods which members of this forum have said they avoid to reduce the risk of DD flares. Can you tell me which foods you tend to avoid and quantities if applicable so I can see if there is any comparison with high fodmap foods which can cause ibs symptoms. Thank you.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Libralady, I was diagnosed in Feb with Diverticulitis and have stuck with the DD diet for 2 months lost 35lbs I’ve tried upping my fiber and makes me feel worse. So was said to do Low FodMat diet less fiber with IBS diet. Just play with it tweak it to what you can handle. I still haven’t figured it out. Makes me afraid to eat anything. Keep a food journal. Good luck. 👍 

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. I know exactly what you mean. Horrible conditions and no one really seems to have all the answers. Fortunately I have never had diverticulitis for which I am very grateful. First of all can I ask what you mean by a DD diet? A high fibre diet is suggested as the best for prevention but as we know this is not always the case. Low fod map suggested for ibs is better I think for ibs d as it is lower fibre so for those of us who get constipation the higher fibre low fodmaps help. I myself have blueberries and ground flaxseed on my porridge and it does help a bit a long with fybogel with mebeverine. I have not worked it out yet either and you are right about being worried about what you eat never mind going out for meals and for me a family wedding in August 200 miles away. Do let me know how you get on. A big part of my problem in anxiety.
    • Posted

DD is Diverticulitis disease. I developed bad anxiety and panic attacks when I was diagnosed. It’s awful. All the meds they tried me on my body rejects and made me worse  so just on Xanax now. During all this I lost 35 lbs so not knowing how or what to eat. Had stool tests done to rule out Candida or other gut issues, all came back normal. My Cat Scans and blood work just show Diverticulosis no infections. Today I have my colonoscopy and set up to see dietitian. Long hard 4 months for me. Hope to get diet figured out. 
    • Posted

I have just read your post. May be you have had your colonoscopy by now. I hope it went well. Please when you are able let us all know how it went.
  • Posted

My understanding of preventing DD is to keep things moving through you with the consistancy of tooth paste according to my doctor. I recently read a book by Dr. McDougall on digestion and started following it. I am feeling much better physically and mentally. I go to the bathroom regularily and easily now. No more diahrea or constipation. Mentally though I found it helped leaps and bounds by telling me there is nothing unhealthy about the foods I can eat so I stick to foods that fit his recommendations based on very interesting science and fit my allowable foods from my food diary. It is a boring way to eat but if it keeps me healthy and not worrying about everything I put in my mouth I will do it.

As for low fodmap I found some foods on the ok list were not ok for me and it is my understanding you aren't supposed to be low fodmap for more then about 8 weeks and then you start adding foods back in. It seems everything is trial and error when you have DD. I wish you the best of luck on your search for what works for you.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply.  Can I ask which foods on low fodmap did not suit you.  Yes you are right you are not supposed to be on low fod map for more than 8 weeks and then you start reintroducing.  I never did it that way and I managed to get referred to a fodmap trained dietician who thought I was doing well and that my diet was balanced.  I was and still am eating wholemeal bread but have cut down, my gp did a test and I am not coeliac.  I do realise though you can still be sensitive to the mount of gluten you eat.  I am not lactose intolerant as far as I can tell.  The only things I am still not sure of are onions and garlic.  Only fruit cut out are mango,pear,apple,peach and nectarine.  Vegetables   just peas and cauliflour .  I still eat small portions of broccoli and sprouts, lots of salad.  She told me to either carry on and start introducing (which I have not done as yet must really knuckle down)  but I don't miss any of them  I eat strawberries,raspberries,blueberries,pineapple,melon and banana,carrots swede green beans.  I drink tea, peppermint tea, and water small amount of pineapple juice, I don't like coffee.  I drink the odd glass of white wine, birthdays and christmas.  I do think it is disgusting that the medical profession offer no advice on diet even though I know as you say it is trial and error.  Oh well we press on.  This morning my stomach was so bloated and my back hurt it might be the gastritis as well as I had reduced my dose of ranitidine on doctors advice so going back up to full dose for a while.  This afternoon don't feel too bad. It is so unpredicable at least IBS is.  I am glad you have a diet which suits you and long may it continue for you.  I will look out for the book by Dr Mcdougall.  You are right you can get into the habit of analysing the food you eat too much.  I wish you all the best.

• Posted

Sorry they have stopped my reply to you maybe it is because I mentioned the book.  Anyway can you tell me which foods on low fodmap you found did not agree with you.
    • Posted

Hi libralady, hard 2days, but colonoscopy is done. Had 6 polyps removed and sent for biopsy along with a scrape of entire colon for evaluation of microscopic colitis. I have severe diverticulosis. 3 spots. Put me on a low FodMat diet till I see dietitian, along with vitamins - Calcium, D, probiotics, and a cocktail of psyllium(Metamucil)/Miller’s wheat bran. For fiber. Said to eat enough fiber per day to avoid another infection. Keep bowels regular. So scary. I’m still waiting on some stool labs, the ones that came back normal are for parasites and food poisoning/salmonella. So waiting on Candida tests still.  I’m going to have IBS and SIBO test done in a week. I started my new food journal today, and going food shopping for Low FodMat stuff. I feel if I didn’t have this bad anxiety things would be easier, and I would not be so afraid of eating. Food should not be our enemy. I started this at 180 lbs now at 143, so I know I needed to lose some weight, but not this fast. And now I was forced to eat healthy which is so diff for me. A huge wake up call. Now just need to get my mind set back to normal, will definitely look up that book Mcdougall. Thanks for listing foods you eat, I’ll add to blended drinks. 
    • Posted

I can not eat broccoli cucumber lettuce tomatoes corn onions olives(new to me) grapes berries coconut dairy nuts red meat. I don't eat any meat dairy or oils now I until I did olives last night I was ok. Sugar is a really bad one too but only in a fair size amount of candies or cookies. Doing a diary will help you tremendously. I put every food that might have caused a pain on a list. Some I will try again if there have been more then 1 of those foods the the previous 2 days. But at a much smaller amount. For me seeds have given me every attack. Dried fig seeds, raspberries , strawberries were the worst. Eggs made me not be able to get better. I dropped them and started slowly getting better. Everyone is different and it really is trial and error with food. Don't get constipated. I always only drank water 2l or 64 oz. I now aim for 3l or 86 oz water and I eat my starches. Garenteed next day I will go. I do not have to take Metamucil or Merolax. Good luck with the food diary and don't slack off on it or eat a food that causes you pain and fingers crossed you can manage it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.