Low folate levels

Posted , 8 users are following.

i had a blood test end of last year which came back with low folate levels was prescribed 5mg folic acid tablets for 4 months however since being on the tablets i dont feel any different still constantly tired, irritable, hair falls out, no energy and get heart palpitation anyone else experience things like this?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I had low folate and was prescribed 5mg a day. The folate increased but I felt the same.

• Posted

Hi Kadylouise,

I am just wondering if anything else in the blood test was low or you have had any major illness/trauma before the onset of symptoms?

Are you due to see the doctor again to have a blood test to determine if your folate is within normal range now? If so request more tests.

Alcohol consumption depletes folate levels, not sure if that is an issue with you?

It may be worth keeping a diary to see if you feel any better/worse after certain foods/activity.

Beverley

• Posted

Another doctor assuming one thing on the blood test is the cause of everything else? Treating the symptoms rather than the cause of the symptoms? Has he investigated at all? What you describe could equally be due to low vit D - or an autoimmune disease of some sort. If it is the autoimmune cause that prevents you absorbing folic acid from the gut - and tablets won't change anything.

But as said already, did you also improve your diet? including cutting your alcohol intake if that could apply.

• Posted

kadylouise how are you? i had all those symptoms with very low vitamin d. Hope theyve checked it for you. If it is low theres some good threads on here and a facebook group.

• Posted

Hi,

I had the same problem at the start of this year- blood tests showed a folate level below 3 and also Vit D deficiency. I had been feeling really unwell for 2 months or more, very weak, couldn't remember things and suffered really bad anxiety. The brain functions/memory etc. recovered within a week or so of starting on folic acid and Vit D supplement. Physically I am struggling to get any sort of fitness back. The problem I have is I'm not sure if the various medications I was prescribed after a minor stroke last year are causing or contributing to this problem. I assume your B12 levels were checked at the same time.

Best Wishes

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.