Low grade dysplasia

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi I am a 47 year d female and I have had Barrett’s for over 19 years. No issues so far but now they have found dysplasia and I am worried sick. I don’t wNt to wait for it to progress , I want it removed. Has anyone got any experience with this? I

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

The risk of progression from Low Grade Dysplasia are still very small but it is significant in that it has shown a progression from the non-dysplastic Barrett's. UK NICE guidelines do approve Radio frequency Ablation therapy for the treatment of LGD. Discuss this with your consultant.

• Posted

How did you treat your condition for those 19 years behind you now? Did you take PPIs the whole time? How did you manage your condition for that period (and now)?

Anyway, you should stick to meds and a semi-diet from time to time. No smoking, no alcohol.

• Posted

Sorry should have read 10 years , not 19. I am taking 20 mg of Nexium daily. I have never smoked. I’m going to start taking 75mg of Aspirin from now on and try increasing intake of strawberries and turmeric. Seeing my consultant on Tuesday. 
    • Posted

Not sure about the aspirin. Have you discussed that with your doctor? The AspECT trial (looking at combination of esomeprazole and low dose aspirin) is due to report next year. Interim results aren't looking promising.

If strawberries and turmeric make you feel better there's probably no harm taking them but they won't stop progression in the unlikely event it is going to occur in your case.

• Posted

How long have you been taking Nexium-esomperazole for? Any side effects from it? Any other condition you have?
    • Posted

Since I have been diagnosed. I take 20 mg Nexium every morning and I m fine with that. Take Magnesium Supplements occasionally and Vit B.

• Posted

Have you had any side effects in those 19 years of taking Nexium-esomeprazole 20mg on a daily basis? Do you take any other medication along?
  • Posted

Anything that is anti-inflammatory can help with this including fruits (berries).  Barretts is just a  way your body protect your esophagus from cancer.  But when it becomes to much then is can turn into cancer.  Their is many ways you can delay and even stop cancer from progressing so maybe that should be the question here instead of trying to stop Barretts which it by itself means almost nothing. Everyone with reflux can get this and just about every human has a little reflux.  Asking a GI about nutrition is a waste of time.  Most of them have no idea and much less do they care  (some).  ;-(  PPI's???  I have seen medical research that shows that nutrition can do better or worse than PPI's.  This is all a guessing game right now. ;-(  Btw, last stats show that only 1 in 850+ with Barretts gets cancer.  WOW, their is a better possibility for you to get hit by a car than getting cancer from this but why take the chance?  Be your own judge and do what you feel is better for you.  God created our bodies to heal themselves. ;-)  God bless!

• Posted

I had my doctor‘s appointment and they say the dysplasia they found was not in the Barrett‘s but in the squamous cells next to it? This seems very strange? I am waiting for a date for a repeat endoscopy to find out what is going on. 
  • Posted

Please keep us posted.  You are doing what you need to stay on top of this so that is the best thing. 

I just had a scope today and they diagnosed gastritis, esophagitis and biopsied the stomach and a couple of areas for possible barretts.  I guess I will need to wait and see what the biopsies say.  I just turned 50 and am a female.  My father-in-law died of esophagus cancer at age 67 so I will certainly be staying on top of this as well regardless of whether it turns out I have barretts or I need to get on top of the acid.  I am starting Prilosec for now.

I am glad you have another follow up.  I am also glad that these scopes require no prep. I have a son with Crohns and his scopes are a lot more hassle!

• Posted

Strange have not noticed anyone here mention Bile reflux.  Is to my undersatnding bile reflux with acid reflux is the reason for the barretts. We all know bile is alkaline and acid is acidic so how do we deal with this.  In my opinion, the reason why so many people have barretts these days is because once they take out your gallbladder, biles comes into the picture and creates barretts.   So claudia, maybe bile is the problem and not acid reflux. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.