Low heart rate?

Posted , 4 users are following.

So I have a low heart rate. ( resting) 50's and sometimes dips into the upper 40's when lying in bed getting ready to sleep and then low 40's when asleep. I've had ekgs, X-ray and blood work. Nothing. I'm 22 years old and have an apt with a cardiologist soon. Just got a referral today.

Anyways I'm curious if maybe this could be related to the vagus nerve? Does anyone know if it causes a low heart rate? If so should I be worried ? Is it treatable? I've tried to google but it doesn't really say.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

a heart rate that low is not necessarily a bad thing. It's good you're getting it checked out though. A resting heart rate in the 50's and even 40's is not uncommon in athletes who are very fit. I am by no means an athlete and my resting heart rate dips that low when resting as well which I understand is not unusual in POTS which I have. It's good you're getting it checked out by a cardiolohist as it can be related to some health conditions. Better to be safe. I would assume if you are not experiencing other symptoms at the time of low heart rate you should at the very least not be too worried between now and seeing the cardiologist. 

• Posted

Thank you! Ah POTS what's that? And I do get dizzy sometimes but I've noticed it's not when my heart rate is low, it goes up as soon as I get up and start moving, so I've checked and it's not low when I am dizzy. I will bring that up when I see the cardiologist though. I'm not very fit but I have lost 30 pounds and have began working out but not an athlete. Although my family members all have low heart rates as wellrolleyes?

• Posted

POTS is postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome. It means I have a high heart rate when standing. When I'm lying down it is usually in the 55 to 65 range but can sometimes drop as low as 45. The difference between tachycardia and postural tachycardia is that it's only when upright rather than all the time. 

• Posted

Ah so does POTS cause low heart rate as well? I've noticed when I do stand up my heart rate does shoot up. For instance when at night if I have to use the bathroom randomly if I just wake up and hop out it'll go from 40's to about 100. Wonder if I may have that as well....

• Posted

I would google POTS and see if the symptoms fit. Then you can also ask your cardiologist about it. 
  • Posted

Sarah, I don'tknow about the Vagus bein but the heart5 rate is definitely to low. My pace maker is set to never go below 50BPM. When I lean over and stand up again my BP drops and heart rate goes way up. But I have vetigo and black outs. Still trying to find the problem.

• Posted

Yes I thought it was slow as well but all my dr's I have been to say it's Normal since I'm young with no health problems. I see another cardiologist and the only reason my dr referred me is for my peace of mind she told me ... I don't really have symptoms and it goes up with movement so I'm hoping it is "normal" for me but I wanted to be sure. Even if my dr's think I'm crazy. I'm sorry to hear of your he's

• Posted

I'm sorry to hear of your health problems. I hope you can find out what is causing yours! Is having a pacemaker scary or changed your life in anyway in a significant way?

• Posted

My pace maker is not life changing at all. This was an effort to control black outs but didn't help. I am now going thrrough CT scans and MRI to check brain. I had surgery in 2008 for bleeding on right frontal lobe. It might be bleeding again. At 70 years old, this is just part of the affects of a hard used body.I wish you well my young friend and hope you heart rate is normal for you.

Blessings, Ken

• Posted

Hello, l have a very low heart rate , my normal rate is 40/50 laying down it drops between 35/40 and when my heart really plays up with angina lve been picked up at 22/27 beats with lack of oxygen , going grey, cold sweating and feeling like .....bllllllaaaaaaa.

lve had POTS since l was 13 years old and it s getting worse now lm in my 60s.....having stent fitted soon and open heart surgery to try and patch some of it up .

Any questions message me xxxxxxxxLady Ami .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.