Low heart rate, is it normal?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, I have recently joined a gym and realised, compared to my incredibly fit friend, my heart rate is very low. I have bought a heart rate monitor (one of the little watches) and found my resting heart rate is usually between 50-65. 

I should point out I am not at all fit haha, I am a 20 year old, 5'2 female, weighing 125lb and struggle ding any kind of exercise for more than a couple of minutes. 

I have seen online that there is a condition called bradycardia which is associated with hypothyroidism which runs very strongly in my family, and my mother believes me to have, though have never been officially prescribed with.

I have had my blood pressure etc checked at the doctor's before, however I struggle quite badly with social anxiety so I find everytime it has been officially checked my heart has been racing and doctor's have still commented that it was quite low.

I lso tend to black out quite often, particularrly when getting out of bed, chairs and the bath/shower, and I get weird fluttery heart beats occasionally as well which aren't the nicest.

Obviously I am nervous about going to a doctor so thought I would ask online first about whether my heart rate is alright, or if I should maybe venture out to my local GP and get checked.

Any help would be appreciated!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

My resting heart rate is usually in the 50's but only because I used to be a runner in my early 20's. Serious runner's heart rate some time is as low as in the 30's but only because their heart grew bigger.

You should really find a good physician who would follow your case carefully.

Whatever you have you should face the truth. You remind me of the ostrich. When it feels or sees danger it puts its head in the sand so that it can not see it. Are you like an ostrich? 

• Posted

Hahahaha absolutely love that! Yes, I suppose I am a bit of an ostrich :') I'll try and make an appointment and see my GP soon
  • Posted

Bradycardia is a sign not a diagnosis. It simply means slow heart rate. Mine is 44-46 in the morning with no symptoms. 

Hypothyroidism, under active thyroid gland in the neck is pretty common and is very easily diagnosed by your primary care provider. In the UK GPs handle this very easily.

one word of caution though, if you are feeling faint or blacking out frequently then you doctor may want to look into th cause a bit more carefully. Some GPs have access a 24 hour ECG monitor which you can wear, and the this is analysed by computer to see if your faint feeling corresponds with lower pulse or abnormalities of rhythm on the ECG. If your GP does not have a24 hour kit then they may have to refr you to  a physician. What country are you living in as systems of health care vary so much?

• Posted

I am currently living in Wales though my GP who I actually go to is in England
    • Posted

Sounds wise as he will then send you to an English hospital avoiding the evidently chaotc Welsh NHS.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.