Low Iron

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone!! 

I have been feeling lightheaded and dizzy for the past 9 months. I have cold hands and feet, a fast heart rate and I am loosing some hair slightly. My doc testing my blood and my b12; 

180-673  I was at 280 

Ferritin; 5-272 I was at 18 

But my doctor doesn’t think I am low on iron however I think it’s considerably low and can be the culprit to how I’m feeling.. 

Is it low? Should I start supplements ? 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I would say your b12 could do with a boost and your ferritin is low. You haven't listed your iron levels. If you do decide to supplement (I would) ask you doctor for regular monitoring say every 2 months. 

• Posted

They didn’t check my iron as my doc doesn’t believe my ferritin is low enough .. im thinking of supplementing & taking Iron 16mg a day. 

Is that enough? 

• Posted

Hi, the ferritin level is measurement of the iron store, then there's the measurement of what's in the blood haemoglobin level HB level, you would need to know your HB level it should be between 12 & 15.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.