Low iron but not anemic

Posted , 5 users are following.

New here. My hematologist took blood work Feb 28. Called.last Tuesday said my hemaglobe was 11.6 and said I'm not anemic but my iron is really low. I never had any symptoms of low iron. But I did almost pass out this past Monday. I started taking 65 mg of otc iron pills like they said last Tuesday. How long will it take to get my levels back up to normal? I believe they went down because I went on a low carb diet and stopped eating stuff with iron in it and was not taking a daily multi vitamin. Will I over do it with eating iron stuff food and taking the pill? My doctors going to recheck in April. So 5 more weeks.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I'm certainly not an expert but my daughter going through similar ID without anemia but she's having a lot of problems. At lease you have a Hematologist who should be able to give you a good answer. I'd call the nurse and have them ask. I've scoured the internet looking for this same answer and I've found it to be anywhere from 2-12 weeks. 

• Posted

Hi, I was reading about that the other day, non amaemic iron deficiency, do you know the ferritin level?.
  • Posted

Hi, your haemoglobin is on the low side normal range for woman is about 12 to 15, do you know your ferritin level ?, I think it should be between 15 to 150, ferritin is a measure of the iron store, you need to find out the store, you can actually have to much Iron it's bad for you, if the ferritin is low iron supplement will raise it, I raised mine from 39 to 138 in about 8 weeks, I was taking bisglycinate 20 mg iron capsules, 2 day, 1 morning 1 at night, I opened them up into about 100 mils water with vitamin C effervescent tablet in, vitamin C makes the iron absorb much better, find out your ferritin level.

• Posted

I can't remember what the ferritin level was but it was very low.

• Posted

I had this years ago. My ferritin was 3. I was on 3 tablets a day and it took me months to get back up. I wouldn't worry about over doing it with having a test in 5 weeks. After 3 months of being on 3 tablets a day I got up to 60. I got up 100 and then stayed on 1 tablet a day to keep it at this number. In the UK anything under 25 is low. I'm not on tablets now and I'm usually in the 70's.

• Posted

continue iron replacement pills for three months 
  • Posted

Thank you guys for your replays I was just not sure how it all worked with the iron.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.