Low iron serum but high haemoglobin?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi, i was diagnosed with Iron Deficiency Anemia at the beginning of this year due to a very low haemoglobin level and folate deficiency anemia. I was put on Ferrous Sulphate and was on them for about 8 months. My blood test showed things had improved so I was taken off them. I have only been off them for about 2 months and i started to feel very exhausted and had been getting more and more headaches and had tinnitus in my ear and shortness of breath, so i went to the doctor and asked for a blood test to check my levels. My haemoglobin levels are actually high and my iron serum transferrin levels were low. Because of this the doctors said i dont need treatment. Even though i have been having symptoms again. What does this mean and what do i do?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

The normal range for transferrin is 170 to 370 mg/dl. If you have a higher amount, you may have iron-deficiency anemia. If you have a lower level, you may have another problem, such as liver disease and hemolytic anemia. Transferrin may also be measured using a value called total iron-binding capacity (TIBC). Hi, I copied this down about transferrin, the iron supplement you where given is the raise the iron store, usually if the iron store gets to low then the haemoglobin goes low. Do you know your readings?.

• Posted

Hi thankyou for replying, my transferrin serum level was 1.86 which they said was low. And my haemoglobin levels were 136 i think im not too sure and they said it was high. i was on ferrous sulphate for a good 8 months so i cant understand why i would have something low with my iron?

• Posted

Hi, I think the transferrin serum at 1.86 is just in the normal range, maybe 1.86 can be interpretated as 186, and I think the haemoglobin is in the normal range, in the UK for a female it is 13 to 17 range I think, so at 136 which can be interpretated as 13.6 is OK, do you know your iron store ie ferritin level?

• Posted

Hi, thankyou for replying. The doctor told me that its low and should be above 2.5 for transferrin. They said the Haemoglobin was high. So im not sure what that means

• Posted

Hi, yes it looks like transferrin is supposed to be above 2.5, I've sent some info I copied, from what I understand transferrin transports iron from the iron store/ferritin to the blood, what is the Dr doing about it?

Total iron binding capacity (TIBC) is often measured at the same time as serum iron. This measurement indicates the potential capacity of transferrin molecules to bind with serum iron. Laboratory ranges for men and women are generally in the about 240-450 μg/dL; but there can be significant variances between laboratories. When TIBC is at or below the low end of a laboratory range, it is an indication that there is limited capacity for transferrin molecules to accept additional iron. If that occurs in combination with a relatively high measure of serum iron, it is likely that the ability of transferrin to safely bind serum iron is impaired. Iron in the plasma that is not bound to transferrin is often called non-transferrin bound iron (NTBI). This is a potentially toxic form of iron that can damage most all body systems.

• Posted

Hi, the doctor wanted me to go back onto my Ferrous Sulphate but because of the Haemoglobin being apparently high they arent sure what to do. Thankyou for that information. So is low Transferrin serious?

• Posted

Hi, sorry I don't know if low transferrin is serious, from what I've read transferrin is linked to ferritin, I'm on iron supplement but it's just to raise the iron store, anaemia and things involved seem a complicated issue.

• Posted

Are you in the UK? can you see a Haematologist? if you are in the UK your GP should send you to the Haematology department.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.