Low iron stores but not anemic

Posted , 8 users are following.

i was suffering so many different things:

headache, dizziness, anxiety, depression, panic attacks, loss of appetite, heart palpitations, shortness of breath, extreme fatigue, feeling cold, just overall feeling of being ill. went to primary all bloodwork came back normal, went to eye doctor, neurologist, cardiologist, gastro, gyno, ENT, endocrinologist, and did extensive testing and all came back good. I suffered all these symptoms for three months each and every day. i decided to look at my bloodwork again and realized i am iron deficient. my iron levels were border line low, tbic was bordeline high saturation % extremely low and ferritin borderline low. i probably became anemic in those three months of suffering for all i know . i started to take iron and began to feel better. went back to PCP and showed her my findings. now im on iron therapy. been on it for 2 months all symptoms have subsided except i still feel a bit lightheaded. please tell me that the lightheadedness will subside as well 😕 this process is so long 😦

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Edited

hi , im glad you figured it out in a relatively short period of time. i spent a decade suffering from anxiety and alot of the symptoms you described and since i was never anemic no one ever ran an iron panel test till i did my own research and requested one myself. i wish i had been able to figure it out from the get go. im glad most of your symptoms have subsided . i think that as long as you keep up with it you will continue to feel better. what was your shortness of breath like? i find that one the most confusing for me

• Edited

the shortness of breath was like gaspy. could never really get a full breath in. it would happen when my heart was racing or on any type of exertion. i would get out of bed in the morning and my heartbeat was at 120 bpm .

• Edited

thats how i was. my heart was racing and i could literally feel it. doctors kept telling me it was my anxiety. and that i needed to get on meds and seek therapy. i also got very depressed. i considered getting on meds because it was so bad. i couldnt understand what was happening. once i got my iron levels up i started to feel like my normal self again. changes i hadnt felt in years. i dont understand why this isnt better understood and tested by medical doctors. now anytime someone tells me theyre having anxiety i tell them to request an iron panel test just in case that cokld be the reason.

• Edited

it's kinda makes me feel better i am not alone in this. i got severely depressed and highly anxious. my headaches and dizziness were so strong that literally running my hand through my hair would hurt my scalp! most symptoms have subsided . what's left is lightheadedness. it's def better than two months ago. just subtly there remind me it's still not all gone. i am sticking strong to the iron therapy. just sometimes need reassurance.

• Edited

i totally understand. it definitely helps to know you are not alone! i kept googling my symptoms looking for other people that felt the same way and looking for help and thats how i came across this website and a thread about someone who had similair symptoms with low ferritin. thats when i requested the test and found answers. i get everything your saying . it was a really terrible awful time for me, and sounds like for you as well and im glad that you are feeling better !

• Edited

oh yes, in fact i think that was one of my first symptoms that started my anxiety. i would randomly feel lightheaded or like i could pass out. i could be walking at a store or at school and suddenly just feel lightheaded and feel like i need to sit or lay down. that went on for years. when i started taking iron was when i was at my worst i had a hard time doing anything. it took a few months for me to feel "normal" again. the improvements were gradual over time. i would say maybe around the 2-3 month mark is when i really started to feel better

• Edited

i think that since i have been focusing on it so much it like lingers around. sometimes i don't feel it like when im sitting or laying down. and other times i feel it more like when im driving or running around after my kids. yesterday i had a small meltdown as i just want this to be over 😦 thank you so much for responding to me. it's keeping me motivated to continue.

• Posted

hi dee82, i wanted to check in and see how you are feeling. hope your feeling better!

• Edited

hi elle,

still dealing with lightheadedness. guessing i have to wait the 3-4 month mark and see what happens.i must say i have developed excessive anxiety and depression and that is certainly not helping 😕 . still pushing forward.

• Posted

im sorry, i know its terrible. feeling sick definitely brings on anxiety for me as well. but i think if you remind yourself that this is temporary and you will feel better it should help. your body is exhibiting these symptoms untill it finds a healthy balance. have you had your vit d, b12 , folate checked?

• Posted

yes. this experience has been very debilitating. and out of the extensive list of symptoms this constant lightheadedness is whats left and i just want it to be over. it is my i know red blood cells take 100-120 days to replenish and the iron in your muscles can take a bit more so im not giving up hope. i had my b12, folate, and thyroid checked and all are good. im really stressed and anxious and depressed. trying to keep my mind on the goal.

• Posted

did you by any chance have lightheadedness and like headachey?

• Posted

Posted 3 minutes ago

this is all very interesting as i felt the same way for about 2 years now, i also had every test possible, only thing found was iron depletion which i had supplements for, anxiety and panic and a few of the other side affects have subsided, but like you still feel dizzy and headaches are still present. i started thinking It was all in my head and that maybe it was associated with anxiety as I know that can be a side-effect. I am still reluctant to try medication for that as I don’t feel it’s that bad it’s just the dizziness and the headaches that make me feel uneasy even to go out into public or driving because I feel like I could pass out like you said at any time and it’s scary. I also wondered whether it was linked to pre-menopausal symptoms and maybe a hormone in balance but they once again all come back normal so I’m putting it down to pre-menopausal symptoms perhaps I’m glad I’m not alone anyway and would be glad to hear if you are feeling any better. 😃

• Posted

this is all very interesting as i felt the same way for about 2 years now, i also had every test possible, only thing found was iron depletion which i had supplements for, anxiety and panic and a few of the other side affects have subsided, but like you still feel dizzy and headaches are still present. i started thinking It was all in my head and that maybe it was associated with anxiety as I know that can be a side-effect. I am still reluctant to try medication for that as I don’t feel it’s that bad it’s just the dizziness and the headaches that make me feel uneasy even to go out into public or driving because I feel like I could pass out like you said at any time and it’s scary. I also wondered whether it was linked to pre-menopausal symptoms and maybe a hormone in balance but they once again all come back normal so I’m putting it down to pre-menopausal symptoms perhaps I’m glad I’m not alone anyway and would be glad to hear if you are feeling any better. 😃

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.