Low Iron stores for years but no reason why?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi

3 years ago I started feeling unwell all the time. I felt sick, breathless, had chest pain and tongue sores all the time. I finally went the doctors as my hair was thinning and I had 30 bruises on my legs. My GP did some bloods and it came back my iron level was 3. She said I wasn't anaemic but had low iron stores. It took months to slowly get back up. I came off the tablets when I got up to 120 and within 2 weeks I started feeling ill. I had my iron checked again and it had gone down to 60 so they said I would just be on the tablets for life.

My concern is why my iron is low. At the time I wasn't having my monthly cycle so it can't be this. I had bloods to test for Celiac disease but that was negative and my diet had not changed. My doctor said it will be due to my periods but I kept telling her I wasn't having any. She just shrugged this off.

My question is can your iron stores just randomly go low and will now always be this way without any reason?

I just want to know if that's possible or if there is something causing it

Sarah

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Are you on meds for acid reflux? Do you take Tums, Rolaids, or any proton pump inhibitors? I am in the same boat. I hear that you should not take the gurd meds for more than 2 years. I have taken them for 20 yrs. I can't live without them, but they don't allow me to absorb Iron. My hydrochloride acid levels are now too low to digest iiron and others. B 12 etc.
  • Posted

Hi Sarah. your situation sounds so similar to mine. I just wondered how you were getting on? Has your iron gone up and did you find the cause?
    • Posted

My iron did go up but I have been on iron tablets for 4 years now. Now the tablets are not working and my iron levels are dropping. 
  • Posted

Hi. Dream crone I did take a med for stomache acid for a few years but stopped.  Could just taking them for a few years cause bad iron absorbtion? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.