Low iron symptoms

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone can relate. I have been prescribed 3x tablets a day for 3 months as I have very low iron. I am 2 weeks in and I know that it takes a few weeks/months to get my normal feeling and energy back however, today I keep getting weird sensations in the chest/heart area. Nothing that lasts long but it's enough to make you worry.

I had an ECG last year which was normal; I was just wandering if those of you who have dealt with low iron have experience weird chest pains and how to deal with it? I have the other symptoms as well like fatigue and shortness if breathe

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

It is normal. I usually feel chest pain/tightness and heart palpations when I stop taking the iron. I usually just ignore it and it goes away. I have been taking it for two months now twice a day, even though I forget sometimes. But even when I am taking them, I sometimes still get heart palpations but not as often or as bad, but no chest tightness/pain anymore. It takes a while but the symptoms slowly go away. After two months I can feel the difference and one day I hope these symptoms go away completely. But my engery is back and I am starting to feel normal again with no shortness of breath. Also, I had my heart checked too and they said I was fine. So, try not to worry cause you will be fine and remember you are not the only one going through this.
  • Posted

Thank you so much for your reply; I have had low iron before but never to the point of these symptoms and I think first time is always a scary experience. Great to hear from people who have been through it. Helps to understand put the written symptoms to the physical feelings.

• Posted

Hi. I was recently diagnosed with anaemia due to heavy periods. Last week my iron levels were 5 so I was referred for a transfusion.

I had chest pains and breathlessness, palpitations and anxiety. I know now that most of the symptoms were because my blood wasn't able to carry oxygen around my body, so my heart was working hard very time I moved at all.

The symptoms were very scary, and I am glad my GP was on the ball because I now feel so much better after the blood transfusion. I'm just hoping that the iron tablets will start working soon so my levels don't go down as low again!

Hope this helps.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.