Low iron symptoms, normal hemoglobin??

Posted , 3 users are following.

Been feeling low iron symptoms for a few years, started taking iron supps in September last year even tho hgb was 12.5. Now my hgb is 13.9 but I feel worse and worse every month. After every period I always feel 5x worse than I did before. Cold, pale, easily bruised, pins & needles 24/7, headaches, general weakness, dizziness, lightheadedness, leg pains, pain in bones, brittle nails, I’ve fainted couple times before, etc. I’ve been doing blood tests for years and they’re always “normal “ yet I haven’t felt better or normal in a really long time. 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi I reckon probably not an Iron issue, my Iron levels run about 12.5 or there abouts, mine never rise due to Rheumatoid arthritis, you have different measurements for Iron there's what's in the blood and there's your Iron store the ferritin store, vitamin B12 is involved in Anaemia, many things could cause tiredness and fatigue, have you had all the tests for pernicious anaemia etc?, you can actually have too much Iron with probably same symptoms as not enough its dangerous too have to much Iron.

• Posted

I have symptoms of low ferritin such as ringing in my ears etc. my ferritin levels were not tested. I’ve tried to stop taking iron supps to see if I may be taking too much but when I go a long time without taking pills I feel absolutely horrible and very weak. 
  • Posted

Hi many vitamin and mineral deficiencies can cause symptoms your describing, check out vitamin and mineral deficiencies online things like magnesium and vitamin D3 etc.
  • Posted

Have you checked your iron and ferritin levels? Anaemia is diagnosed from Hgb and Iron Deficiency Anaemia is diagnosed from iron and  sometimes ferritin. IDA is not always looked for but can cause the symptoms. 

Also so ask for vitamin d, b12 and folate tested. Be sure to get a copy of the results because the can be in range but still cause symptoms. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.