low mood

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi,

As some of you already know, I'm waiting for a total hysterectomy. I'm 49 and perimenaausal, according to blood tests and various symptoms.....hot flushes and low mood. When I've had the op i may need hrt but oestrogen only. Does anyone know of this will lift my mood? X

Angie x

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hiya, I had my hysterectomy August last year, and my mood was all over the place, but now I have the correct oestrogen dosage for my hrt it has made a huge difference! I hope everything goes well with your operation x
    • Posted

Hi and thankyou for replying. Did you have to wait long before you found the right dose and how long does it take to start working? Also, sorry, so many questions, do you worry about how you will feel when you come off the hrt? Does hrt just delay the inevitable?

Angie x

• Posted

It's no problem, I'm no expert but happy to answer what I can!

I found my first type was fine initially but after a few months just didn't quite seem to control my moods, although it did help with all the other symptoms. Then the doctor wanted me on antidepressants but after a bit more talking we changed to an oral dose instead of the patches. I found this took the edge of after a few weeks and is fully doing the job now after around 10-12 weeks.

I'm only 32 so I have been told I will be on hrt until my early fifties so for the moment I haven't ever thought about coming off it. X

• Posted

Hi again and thanks for answering.

So it can take quite some then!😲. I really don't want to go down the route of antidepressants.

I had my pre op assessment about 6 weeks ago and I'm still not on the list for the op yet! Think its this mainly that's getting me down. I just want it done and out of the way so I can get on with my life....holiday, sporty hen do's , weddings etc. Everything is on hold for me at the moment, and then I've got to get through all the recovery and emotions etc after the op.

Sorry for the rant . Just getting impatient and i know im not the only one in this position, but thankyou so much for answering my questions x

• Posted

I only had to wait around 3 weeks from my pre op to my actual date but I had a very large cyst that was suspected borderline/malignant so it all happened very quickly for me!

The recovery actually isn't that bad, I was off painkillers within a few days pretty much. Having had a previous gynea operation when I was 20 this recovery was a lot easier!

Wishing you luck and I hope you don't have to wait too much longer!

Andrea x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.