Low-normal Ferritin but High Serum and Saturation

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello, I've been trying to figure out the nature of my imbalance, but doctors don't seem interested because my ferritin has been in the high normal, to even low normal range. I had high serum iron (176) and high saturation (56%) on the last test, but low (but normal for me) ferritin of 29. 

Last year I had supplemented overzealously with higher dose iron supplements than I should have used (shouldn't really have bothered with it in the first place) because I had low normal values and fatigue. Once I realized I was overdoing it, I stopped, and for the past year have attempted to do light chelation and iron avoidance under my own guidance to undo damage.

My symptoms are in line with overload, and the vitamins suggested for it seem to benefit me, yet doctors are stymied by this lower ferritin plus high saturation, and so am I.

I'd appreciate any explanation of why this may be.

I take B12, antioxidants, sometimes other b's and have switched to a vegetarian diet since this ordeal began. I haven't had the tests for hemochromatosis, but regardless due to the supplements that I took, I am concerned about potential overload.

Super appreciate any insight!

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi 

Low ferritin normally signifies anemia.And a vegatrain diet can also be a cause of low ferritin.Maybe you need to supplement with iron again.

• Posted

How did you chelate iron?  Every food has iron in it except for cream, some cream cheeses and whiskey - so hard to avoid, and it is not recommended, just avoid foods fortified with iron.

Phone your country's Haemochromatosis organisation for information regarding this problem.  Also google "high iron, low ferritin".  There is a fair bit about this problem.  Vit B12 and B6 can cause this problem if you don't need extra.  Although you generally do if you are vegetarian.  This does not mean that those diagnosed with haemochromatosis should avoid Vit B12.  I find an injection now and then helpful to my wellbeing myself.  How is your haemoglobin?  High range or low?

If you are found to have an aenemia problem, try taking vit C and drinking juices high in Vit C with your meals to increase the uptake of iron more naturally before you start taking iron supplements again.  Avoid drinking tea/coffee, red wine, and calcium foods with meals.

Do the opposite, if found to have haemochromatosis.

• Posted

Hi Sheryl, thanks so much for your informative reply. As I delved further into these postings I do indeed see a few others with low ferritin/high saturation, many of whom are supplementing B's and/or have coexisting digestive issues, both of which describe me too. 

Doctors in the US don't regularly consider iron status unless the ferritin is out of what is considered to be the normal range, which is somewhere between 11-110, but I can tell you that I definitely had arrhythmia when my ferritin was at 80 (a ferritin level between 20-40 is best for me), so that range is not so normal for all.

By light chelation methods, I was referring to turmeric, quercetin and IP-6. I also strategically blocked iron during meals (ie. milk or tea with meals). I can't tell if any of those methods helped. I also had some antibiotics for other reasons, which I was told are iron-chelating. I think the B vitamins do help, but if they increase my saturation, that is not good. I also honestly did become vegetarian when my iron levels were way too high, but I still eat eggs, cheese, dairy, etc.

If you have any info on how B vitamins may have helped (does excess iron increase the need for B's? Or help detox metals?) please let me know. I'm mostly reading that those with overload shouldn't supplement with B's- why would that be?

Thanks again so much for sharing this knowledge-

• Posted

Quercetin foods contain polyphenols which are considered to reduce the uptake of iron, not chelate iron.

Turmeric is an anti-inflammatory which if your high ferritin is caused by inflammation, then it may help reduce the ferritin.  It does not chelate iron.

IP-6 in vivo has been found to be an anti-cancer agent, e.g. breast, prostate, colon.  It is also an antioxidant, and is also used to treat depression.  It also works as an anti-inflammatory.  A description of IP-6 (phytic acid/phytate phosphate) says " When iron and zinc bind to phytic acid they form insoluble precipitates and are far less absorbable in the intestines. This process can therefore contribute to iron and zinc deficiencies in people whose diets rely on these foods for their mineral intake, such as those in developing countries[20][21] and vegetarians.[22]"  It is also said to bind calcium and other important minerals.  No medical science reports or studies.  The hemochromatosis researchers that I know would love to find something other than a horrible chemical chelator.  It is not officially described as a chelator.  One enthuser of IP-6 says you must mix with water and drink on an empty stomach to reduce the risk of losing calcium and other minerals.

The Hemochromatosis Cookbook describe phytate and phosphates in food as substances that inhibit absorption of iron.  Much like tea, coffee, tannins, calcium, polyphenols, oxalates, etc.

I have recently started having a B12 injection.  My husband is homozygous H63D and was in serious need for it - discovered after several years of severe depression.  Prior to that he had Hodgkin's Lymphoma and chemo and radium.  So the lack of it could have been caused by any of the above.  He was not absorbing from tablets - only the injections worked.

I had an injection before a big trip overseas and I am sure it helped me over the lumps of getting there.  Then I read on the product information that it increases blood volume and I had been having lots of problems having venesections.  They have a hard time getting blood out of me now after many years of vx. Previous vx took 5 goes.  Last one last week was successful in one go.  The production information does warn against it if you have high blood pressure though.  My bloods for B12 are within the normal range without the injections.  I used to take a multi B but it was one of the ones I cut out because of the expense of it all.  It did not make any difference to my blood tests and I have not have blood tests for B12 since having the injections.  That is my experience with B12.

One HH medical research study I just came across, says for drs to also check for B12 deficiency when testing for HH.  There may be more about this.

I hope that helps.

• Posted

It is puzzling because I have just tried to find any proper medical research on B12/B6 and iron overload.  Drs say that excess B12 is eliminated via faeces, and excess B6 via urine.  It is for haemoglobin (red blood cells), not iron.  And that excess B12 is not harmful, but a deficiency is.

I cannot remember where I read taking B12 and B6 can cause high iron, low ferritin, except maybe in reports by the Irondisorders Institute.  So check there.  They usually have it right, except that they seem to be advertising some supplements to reduce iron, which goes against all real medical research.  It harks on curcuma which is really an anti-inflammatory and if some of your high ferritin is caused by inflammation then it might appear to reduce ferritin.

Venesections are the only truly effective action to reduce high ferritin.  But this is not relevant to you.

Obviously your iron is out of balance but perhaps the steps you are taking to try to remedy this is not appropriate.  There is a lot of garbage out there about treating iron overload naturally.

You have not said what your haemoglobin is.  This reading may be very important information for your problem.

You really need to see a professional, perhaps a haemotologist (which probably requires a referral from your dr) - consider it a 2nd opinion.  The iron supplements you took a year ago should have gone out of your body by now.  If you ever need to increase your iron levels, take Vit C with meals and see if that is effective enough for you.

Good luck with it, and let us know how you go.

• Posted

Are you saying taking b6 and/or b12 can cause high serum iron and thus high % saturation? So you could be low iron but appear high because you take those things? My family takes b12/b6 and has high serum iron high % saturation but low ferritin. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.