Low O2 but peak flow fine?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi,

This is the second time this has happened, and I still don't know what happens exactly when I get these symptoms. I feel shortness of breath all day long, but especially at night time/when I lie down. It doensn't feel like asthma (which I do have) because there is no wheezing. However I get a pressure on my upper chest/lower throat and find it very hard to get a deep breath. Just walking around the house will have me breathing very heavily. Using my peak flow I can see that I am at 600-650 (which is my usual), but using a pulse oximeter my oxygen is only 94-96%. Which is really confusing... does this mean that I am getting enough oxygen or not? As far as I know oxygen is not compromised in patients with asthma unless they are having a severe life-threatening attack (which I am not, as I am doing everyday tasks just fine). I also have acid reflux and have been very bloated and gassy lately, which could explain the shortness of breath, but the question still remains... why is my O2 so low? I recently started TRT so I am unsure if this is the cause.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Albert-

Believe it or not, if you have acid reflux, that is what is probably causing you problems. I've been struggling with this for months. You should see a gastro doc . Also, look up acid reflux diet guidelines and sleep on a wedge at night. I've been in hospital 3 times in last few months because of this. It has really been affecting my asthma/ breathing to the point where exercise I used to do has become very difficult. You have to get reflux under control....It only gets worse. I'm working on major dietary changes now myself.

• Posted

Hi Keith,

Thanks for your reply. I have been to see a gastro, unfortunately he only rxed omeprazole 20mg once a day, which has now been upped to twice a day. I have been given a sheet with foods and acid reflux, but I believe I follow them- my diet is basically veg, rice, fish, oats and milk. I also taken OTC antiacids, so I don't know what else I can do really. Ironically, one of the common side effects of omeprazole is feeling bloated/gassy, which definately doesn't help!

• Posted

Yeah, a lot of research shows that acid reflux meds actually can make condition worse. Do research on the interenet, i did. I am going to discontinue my meds when used up and just try to control with diet.
  • Posted

actually 94/96 is not that bad 
    • Posted

It's dropped to 92-94% now, which the nurse said is concerning (yet she didn't do anything about it when I mentioned it). 

• Posted

mine dropped to 92 and stayed there for awhile even so I didn't feel bad. Did exercise since I hadn't for awhile my 02 improved it went up to 97

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.