Low O2 levels with activity

Posted , 3 users are following.

My blood oxygen levels drop to 85% when I walk around and will drop as low as 73% when I’m playing with my dogs (throwing a ball, chasing them a bit). I am experiencing very severe symptoms of low oxygen (severe shortness of breath, dizziness, nausea, mental confusion, extreme exhaustion, irritability, and rapid heart rate). I was referred to a pulmonologist and he did some testing and diagnosed me as “fat.” When I asked for an assessment to see if I qualify for oxygen therapy, he was very resistant and brushed me off telling me I need to lose weight. I do need to lose weight but I find it impossible to carry out my basic daily activities. I would love to exercise but I can barely get dressed in the morning. By the end of my work day, I’m extremely exhausted. I feel like I’m not getting the care I need because I’m overweight. If the data shows that my oxygen levels are low and I have symptoms that are consistent with that, why am I less deserving of oxygen than a COPD patient? If I had COPD and my oxygen levels were that low there would be no argument regarding the need for supplemental oxygen. Am I wrong?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

How did you even find out oxygen levels? 

Dont take this the wrong way..

But im assuming they wont give you supplemental oxygen as you can reverse the effects you are having by losing weight where someone with lung disease can not..

• Posted

Hello nessaleah

You really do need help to loose weight it is not easy but I am sure your doctor would point you in the right direction. Also it would definitely help with breathing difficulties. I have broncheactesis and would love to think that loosing weight would help with breathing. Unfortunately my condition is irreversible and I don’t need to loose weight   

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.