Low on iron but can't take coz hard on intestines n tummy so how do i get it in?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi im suffering alot of recent stomach n bowel problems which has Set me back big time. The thing is im Löw on Iron but cant take due to sensitivity in intestines. I bought spatone today which is meant to be gentle n even that hurt going through me. Another strange thing is my Iron levels are showing normal so medically im Not being helped but i Do have Löw Ferritin 20 n transferritin sats down n on research this is enough 4 it. its strenge how it doesnt Show 4 some ppl n does for others but iv had alot lately where bloods are inaccurate so they r Not the Full picture. I took supplements of One month n symptoms greatly imptoved pains in legs went wasnt cold anymote heart palps eased like it was Bad.yet Not showing on bloods.thing is iv also a potassium deficiency so had to Start those supplements. I cant be taking too much as iv gastritis n irritated intestines now Iron symptoms are back Bad. What Do i Do there to get it in?

I Know its a tough One but any advice be greatly appreciated. Thanks

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

it is strange that your 'iron levels' are normal and yet your ferritin is low.

ferritin is one of the markers for iron so that seems odd.

have these tests all been done by the same lab/doctor?

could it be that you self medicated on iron supplements prior to the blood test and that masked the real situation so it seemed as though your haemoglobin was higher than 'usual'?

there are ways of taking iron  for people with sensitive intestines but it depends what the cause of the sensitivity is. so you need to get that checked out by a  doctor. maybe book a double appointment so that you have enough time to talk about it all.

and ask for a referral to a dietitian (not a nutritionist. if you are in the UK - dietitians are qualified to give the necessary one-to-one dietary advice).

try not to self medicate until you know what the actual problem is. 

who put you on the potassium supplements? was that your doctor also?

hope that you get it all sorted out soon as it sounds miserable for you.

best wishes

• Posted

Yes it is miserable.

I dunno it thats possible is it? I was taking an Iron supplement but only 30mgs per day when i got the Iron panels done i wonder would that have affected it.

Iv had endoscopy done n didnt Show anything. I came off medication few years back n i bled profusely out back Passage it messes with gi tract n now iv very thinned lining in there so prone to irritants.

It had of known that wouldnt have taken so theyd see. Yes got potassium off doctor thats really Bad deficiency too n the bloods were wrong on that too showing falsly elevated levels when there was none in the Body.

• Posted

Hi Melissa,

Have you tried the liquid iron suppliment you can get from health food, chemists? Wonder If that would affect you? Also, friend of mine found halving the iron tablets and taking at different times of the day helped with tummy issues.

Hope that helps

Beverley

• Posted

Hi beverly thanks i was on the liquid Iron it was gorgeous but then cabbage juice irritated intestines n when i took it it really hurt me its such a pity coz its lovely n was going in fine b4 dat. Id be afraid as had Bad cramp s n diarrea last time 4 a month. Tablets are good too just iv to take potassium supplements with food n id be scared to take Iron as well guess when iv potassium deficiency over i can deal with the Iron ...its tricky situation. Just wish belly be normal n all would resolve.

Thanks though.

• Posted

Hi Melissa,

Shame that caused problems too : / have you heard of "iron water"? Boots the chemists sell it. Its in sachets. Not sure of the amount of iron in them or anything. They're a bit expensive but, guess if they work?

I hope the potassium issue gets sorted soon as you say then you can get back to sorting your iron.

Best wishes

Beverley

• Posted

I Know the potassium is so serious wish that never happened its hard to deal with. Its all hard with stomach. Yes i bought the Iron water n even that irritated me thats why i was despairing but i tried it again this morning n it was ok so fingers crossed it might work.
    • Posted

I hope it does for you. Sounds a nightmare for you to find something that works. Fingers crossed here too

B

• Posted

Ok, last one-have you tried spirulina? Itssupposed to taste awful but says It has good iron levels. My friend tried that and the iron water as iron tablets not good for them either.

Hope that helps. The cfs/me I have makes me really forgetful! So only just remembered that : )

• Posted

No i havnt tried that but only Seen that yesterday too...was surprised to hear it has lots of Iron...Great to Know theres an Alternative. Never had such a struggle with my health i thought i was Bad b4 would never ever complain again if could go back.

How'd ü get chronic fatigue? Im sure thats no fun!

• Posted

Hi Melissa,

Strangely from a car collision. Most people seem to get it after a virus. Yes, no fun at all!

How Is your iron search going? Has anything worked ok yet? Also do you take vitamin c as well? Sure I heard something about it helping absorption.

B

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.