Low or high stomach acid?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I was diagnosed with Gerd back in 2015. I use to have a prescription for Zantac which worked wonders but obviously can't take that anymore. I tried pepcid AC after I ran out of Zantac last year but that gave me horrible heart palpitations which ended in an ER trip. Tried Tums but only works for about an hour. I recently tried Prilosec at right around the new year for 28 days. that resulted in tons of undigested food in stool, diarrhea and overall just making me feel super ill all the time. I still have side effects from this drug to this day even though ive been off them for a few weeks. I just cant figure out if I have low or high stomach acid. what do you guys think?

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

reflux is usually caused by high stomach acid or a weakening of the sphincter. rarely is it caused by low stomach acid though many youtubers and sites make this claim misinterpreting the results of some studies that were done.

id recommend 1. get checked for h.pylori, 2. go on a diet if you havent already. 3 if all else fails you may need surgery.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.