Low potassium

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone. Has anyone that has had a bowel resection had low potassium as a result afterwards?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

sorry no but my mother had to have a bag put on after bowel removal and she had low potassium I remember she had to drink an horrible Potassium drink

• Posted

thank you for your post, I have learned the hard way that low potassium is quite common with many different bowel and gastrointestinal disorders. I have also learned that the over-the-counter potassium is not quite as Effective as the prescription version. I highly recommend having your doctor consult with you regarding prescription potassium pills. They made a night and day difference on my system.

• Posted

In addition to just potassium, electrolytes and other vitamins and minerals tend to be depleted with G.I. disorders, so it is always important to be conscious of these things. Just some input from things I have experience throughout the years, hopefully they help.

• Posted

Thanks for the replies . I just thought i would mention that i don't have a bag now. Had one for 3 months in 2018. After my reversal I've had a few problems, some of you might have followed me. I hadhad appendix out 5 weeks ago. It wasn't actually appendix but adhesions. I just mentioned the potassium thing because i still just dont feel right most of the time. I wondered if losing part of the bowel affects the ability to absorb nutrients? My surgeon doesn't really think so , and i really like and respect him but i don't think they have all the answers. Albert what were your symptoms? How did you know you were low. Was it blood test?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.