Low potassium

Posted , 5 users are following.

has anyone had extreme weakness with potassium going low? I was feeling extremely weak to the point i couldn't walk and I went to ER yesterday and my potassium was very low. i felt better after they gave me potassium. I don't know why this happens, and what to do when it keeps happening, I am trying to eat right including electrolytes etc. i feel sick and tired on top of all other symptoms of perimenopause that i have. 😦

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I had this problem but not bc of menopause. The blood pressure meds I was on took literally all of it out of my system. I started tingling everywhere, like pins and needles, but worse. Then my heart started pounding, I thought I was having a heart attack. My dad happened to call me and knew something was wrong. He rushed me to the hosp just in time. My blood pressure was 197/122 and my heart rate was 130. After tons of nitroglycerin and tests and being admitted they figured out it was my potassium. I had a level of 1 which was barely picked up. They infused 2 bags of potassium over about 12 hours (it was so painful!) and tested my heart enzymes every 4 hours to make sure no more damage was done (I already have heart issues). Needless to say I was taken off that med. I now take a potassium supplement.

I'd suggest a multi vitamin since yours isn't caused from a medication. Too much and too little are equally dangerous. You should be safe with a multivitamin with Vit K in it.

• Posted

i had a potassium problem same thing. i was deficient, went to the ER because of intense pins and needles in my extremities. Just take a potassium supplement regularly, or two bananas a day. you'll be fine.

• Posted

When I had my first migraine aura at 43, I was taken to the ER. I never heard of an aura before, so I had no idea what was happening. They did a barrage of tests including blood work. I had low potassium and sodium levels.

My mom who was well past menopause had chronic low potassium due to kidney disease. She would often have pins and needles in her fingers and/or have heart flutters. She received potassium infusions a few times. It's a delicate balance and you should not take supplements without speaking to a doctor as high levels of potassium are just as dangerous as low levels.

• Posted

I had low potassium a couple of years ago. In retrospect, it was likely perimenopause-related, but at the time, I thought I was having a heart attack. My heart rate was really high, numbness in my toes and fingers, etc. I actually drove myself to the ER. They did blood work, an MRI, and stuck me on a heart monitor for nearly a day. The blood work showed it was low potassium. I haven't had anything that severe happen since, but it was quite a surprise as I'm usually pretty healthy. The doctors didn't say anything about taking a supplement and seemed to write it off as being dehydrated, which I didn't think I was.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.