Low red blood cell count

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi group, I'm a newbie so if I break any rules please excuse me. I went to my GP a few weeks ago after several months of achy legs and general tiredness. It's the kind of feeling you get in your legs if you have a bad cold or flu; not pain, just a weak and feeling that something's not quite right. The doc ordered a blood test and I don't know the units per ml or whatever measure they use but mine is 7. Normal is apparently 30 (for a pregnant or menstruating woman) to 300 for a healthy man. Can anyone help me with the scientific units used for the results, ie, seven whats per what? Investigation on the net seems to show things measured in millions but I was so shocked a the GP that I didn't ask this. I'm now on high-strength iron pills and am having a colonoscopy, endoscopy and bone marrow sample. I'm a vegetarian but have been for 27 years and this issue has never arisen. I'm knackered all the time and really quite anxious about the possible causes. The doctor said there's a 90% chance it's nothing more serious than a stomach ulcer. But any help with the units of measurement to which she referred? Thanks!

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I am also new to the group. I can understand where you are coming from because i too suffered from anaemia for a few years and struggled with the constant feeling of tiredness and other associated symptoms. I am ok now. i would advice you to wait and get all the results from your doctor for confirmation and treatment and also if you are unsure about the units of measurements used ask your doctor or get clarification from another clinical practitioner.

To reduce your anxiousness try distraction strategies such as listening to relaxing classical music or any calming music of choice and also occupy yourself with some of the gentle activities you enjoy doing. Try not to think about what the doctor told you.

To reduce the feeling of tiredness try to do any activity or task in the mornings when the weather is much cooler, break down what you have to do and tackle them in small chunks making sure you do not push yourself. if you can delegate to other family members or close friends, why not? They are always willing to give support. Iron pills can cause constipation and so make sure you include a lot of fibre in your diet. i used a lot of added fibre in most of my meals (Natural wheat bran) and branflakes in the mornings was my preferred breakfast cereal. it helped a great deal.

I hope my response help.

Good luck

Lady C

• Posted

Thank you Lady C, you make a lot of sense. Ive got an appointment with my psychiatrist next week, i imagine he'll know what the jargon means.

I know what you mean about the constipation, and the slightly alarming colour! Im trying to eat muesli (yuck) to alleviate this.

• Posted

i will also recommend a good book on Anaemia. Overcoming Anaemia.  My experience. On Amazon. it has a lot of helpful and practical tips with no clinical jargons. Good luck and hope all goes well for you.

Lady C

• Posted

Hi, bisglycinate iron supplement is good a lot gentler on digestion, I was put on ferrous fumarate capsules and it played havoc on stomach etc, but no problems with bisglycinate capsules, which I took with effervescent vitamin C tablets raised my ferritin ron store pretty quick.
  • Posted

Hi, the haemoglobin level for a female is about 12 to 15, and the ferritin level is about 15 to 150 female, haemoglobin iron measure is basically whats in the blood, the ferritin level is the iron store, and for a male haemoglobin 13 to 17, ferritin 20 to 150/200, there are two sorts of iron in food, Heme iron and none Heme iron ,basically Heme is in meat and fish and absorbs very easily in the body, none Heme is in plants and is poorly absorbed, iron absorbs much better alongside vitamin C. especially none Heme iron.
    • Posted

Ah, thanks Martin, so it must be the ferritin level that's 7 (hopefully more after a fortnight of ferrous fumerate). Just what I needed to know!

• Posted

My hemoglobin dropped to a 7 and my iron to a 4 and ferritin so low it didn’t even register.  If counts are low they check for internal bleeding like ulcers and such.  I have to get iron infusions and OMG what a difference!!! Life has actually changed dramatically.  I can actually function like a human again.  Prior to injections I would work (barely) then get home and sit.  Couldn’t clean, cook, go out, nothing.  It is amazing 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.