Low residue diet after flare

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello I have what I think is my first diverticular flare having been diagnosed via colonoscopy in 2017 with multiple diverticular and small internal hemerroids. I do suffer with constipation and follow Low fodmap diet for IBS. It started with blood with wind and soft stools all day but not the runs. ISaw gp she did a rectal exam and found 2 new piles and something else she could feel but not see although she felt it was probably a healed up hemerroid but nothing to worry about never the less she referred me on the 2 week pathway just to make sure. I go to see gastro consultant on Sunday next. My question is 2 fold how long should I remain on low residue diet especially in view of being a constipationsufferer and should I take a laxative or stool softener I only have Comocol in the house. This morning I had a very small BM but easy to pass. Frightened of getting backed up or if using the cosmocol will

make things worse. I seem to get conflicting advice. I feel ok but odd pains here and there but do have other health problems like arthritis and fibromyalgia and more. I am 72. Thanks

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

hi

i have diverticular disease too aswell as degenerative disc disease and arthritis. Gp gave us macrogol nightly . Its an awkward disease i can only have milkshakes and low fat snacks since having my gallbladder removed as i get pancreatic attacks. Sorry i m not much help but hopefully youll get some more answers soon. When i have attacks i just take paracetamol aswell as my regular meds and grin and bare it unfortunately.

Good luck

• Posted

Thank you. Yes when you have various different things going on its a pain. I never knwo what is causing what. At the moment I have a pain in my back don't know if its arthritis as I do have in lower back or DD. It is just in one little spot not awful but so annoying. Yes that is what I did took paracetamol and other medications and just tried to carry on resting in between not easy as I suffer with anxiety as well.

• Posted

Hi,

What I was told was follow low residue for 2 weeks if you have antibiotics or 3 weeks if you don't. Low residue is something like 10-15g of fibre a day. My dietitian said beans and peas can be pureed and eaten right after 48 hours of liquid. This past attack I waited an extra day and no problems. Stool softeners are the way to go if you get constipation laxatives can be too harsh. If you are really backed up ask your doctor if you can take a laxative. I hope you feel better soon.

Julie

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. So many contrasting views. When I was first diagnosed in 2017 I was never given any information I asked for a leaflet when in recovery but they didn't have any. My GP did run some information off for me but most I of what I have found out is from this forum and others and talking to people. I thought stool softeners were best and most gentle. Whilst on here have been asking everyone so as to get a lot of answers can you tolerate seeds or nuts and if so which ones.How would you know if you were backed up. I don't feel it like I do normally when constipated. Have been this morning only very small amount and this evening easy to pass but wonder if this is old stuff looks a bit like it might be. Sorry to be graphic. Which is the best stool softener. I am in uk.

• Posted

I am not from the UK so I can't help with brand names.

As for not going much if you are not eating much there won't be much coming out the other end.

I have no appitite when I am constipated beyond that no other symptoms. So I can't be of more help.

Julie

• Posted

Thanks anyway. I have a good appetite all the time usually. I wish you well.

• Posted

im from uk and i take movicol or laxido to help me to pass stools because i have to avoid constipation due to my colon resection. I take one sachet everyday.. i avoid high amount of fibre because its causes me severe bloating which causes havoc ..

• Posted

Avoid hard stools at all cost. I use a glycerin suppository when needed. I've also heard that stool softeners are very safe, but I've never used them. I keep a soft diet, avoid meats, spicy foods, anything hard to digest. I drink a veggie smoothie several times a week to maintain vitamins. I eat oatmeal daily and supplement with Metamucil several times a week.

Please keep us posted on your progress and what the doctor says.

• Posted

Hello Thanks for your reply. Is metamucil a fibre supplement as I had fybogel did not help very much.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.